Trimming brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the lee but i also have it mounted in a drill that i made stationary and at the back of the assembly i installed
a variable speed switch $5 (fan switch) that and the case length lee set up makes it pretty quick to trim a bunch of brass.
I keep it all in a tote so i can retrieve all the shavings.

drill trimmer.jpg

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the lee but i also have it mounted in a drill that i made stationary and at the back of the assembly i installed
a variable speed switch $5 (fan switch) that and the case length lee set up makes it pretty quick to trim a bunch of brass.
I keep it all in a tote so i can retrieve all the shavings.

View attachment 27799

I was going to ask about keeping the shavings... Will a scrap yard take them for a good price?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same price they give you for your brass cases..fact when i have bad brass cases i pinch the mouths shut on them with pliers.
Now you could dump some of that brass shaving back into the cases and pinch them shut

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did anyone ever have any experience with the RCBS X dies when they came out? They were supposed to prevent the need to trim after the initial trim, I see that midway still lists them.

Yes I use a .22-250 .280 rem and .243 xdie and have a set of .220 swift (I primarily neck size so no need to trim as often) and they work satisfactory for me. But you must trim to the exact length stated or you can create some headspace issues. They do prevent brass growth but I notice more split necks after a few firings.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the feed back gents.
Picked up a RCBS pro manual at the LGS for more than I should have paid. So far My fingers are much happier and speed has increased two fold easy.
dennishoddy, I am looking forward to hearing about your solenoid setup, be sure to post pics if you can!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
7stw have you thought about annealing the necks.
I do it every 3rd or 4th firing.
If i get Iffy brass in trade it will get annealed.
that way i know i have a starting point.
If nothing else the annealing creates a situation where all bullets are seating closer to the same pressure.

I usually loose a case from head separation or loose primer pockets now

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the feed back gents.
Picked up a RCBS pro manual at the LGS for more than I should have paid. So far My fingers are much happier and speed has increased two fold easy.
dennishoddy, I am looking forward to hearing about your solenoid setup, be sure to post pics if you can!

Will do! The cylinder was delivered today, so tonight i'll start assembly. Still have to figure how I want to couple the cylinder rod to the handle.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a RCBS & A Lyman case trimmer. They get the job done for me, but I'm not loading for ammo eaters either. If I was loading for an AR or AK I'd probably have one of the case prep machines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom