Truck (suv) gun with a magazine loaded, but nothing chambered???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I remember the good o'l days when my dad would leave his 30-06 in his gun rack in the back window and no one thought a thing about it. I also remember going to school at East Central and throwing my Ruger 10/22 in the back seat when I wanted to go shooting afterward and nobody thought anything about it as well.. Have times changed. :nolike:

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been unable to actually speak to the DA, but am still trying. My reasoning behind contacting the DA is simple. He's the one who would be trying the case, not the police officer. Sure, I could get arrested and my rifle confiscated if the officer disagrees, but at the end of the day it wouldn't be him taking me to court.

For what it's worth, I'm not looking to argue on the side of the road, nor am I looking to keep an arsenal in my vehicle. Not that it matters, but the reason behind it is so that I can deal with snakes and varmints and the like when running around the property and I'd just rather have it in the vehicle at all times, which may have me off the property and in town.

It's great to get some of the input from you guys, and goes to show there isn't much consensus.

Times really have changed!

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really good information here. I'll be subscribing to see what the DA has to say. as a non-CW holder, I've always carried a firearm in my vehicle, keeping the magazine separate. It doesn't take long to load a magazine into the weapon, and I feel (especially after reading all post) that it would be the safest bet (as far as legality goes for me). However, I'm sure I can be pulled over by a police officer that disagrees with this. I would think it would also be necessary to inform the officer that I had a weapon in the vehicle concealed or not... I've heard so many different ways of what is legal and what is not. A straight answer from a DA would be nice.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to Trent Baggett with the District Attorney's counsel, the law reads as I have interpreted it; however he suggested I contact the OSBI for further validation as they are the ones who issue the permits and have a better understanding of their impact. I have reached out to the OSBI for further validation. It'd be nice if there was a single entity that could speak to the legality. You'd think they'd work together. I'll report back with anything else I might find.

Latest posts

Top Bottom