True Grit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This.

I think if people will refrain from comparing it to the John Wayne original and just view it as another movie, it might be pretty good.

Sorry, Rooster Cogburn = John Wayne, nuff said......

The John Wayne movie was based on the novel as far as the characters and the idea of the story. but the screen play for that movie was written specifically for John Wayne to win the best actor oscar. The new movie is supposed to adhere to the book far more closely.

As it should have been, movies were made for the Duke, not the other way around.....

I don't have any friends that haven't seen the John Wayne version. I don't associate with "those" kind of people. I like chicks.

:owned3:

My biggest problem with it is that anti gun liberal Jeff Bridges starring in it.
He's made several of these westerns where he gets a paycheck off something he has worked against in the past.

The only one worse would have been Tim Robbins. :screwy:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, Rooster Cogburn = John Wayne, nuff said......

As it should have been, movies were made for the Duke, not the other way around.....

:owned3:

The only one worse would have been Tim Robbins. :screwy:

Well I have to admit that it's hard to picture Jeff Bridges without thinking of the line "Hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" :)

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think people need to go into these new "remake/reboot" or whatever you wanna call them with an open mind...its never gonna be like the original.

I think it looks pretty damn good and I plan on taking my Dad to see it with me...the GF is gonna have to stay home..lol

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really hope this line was included, because it was awesome when the Duke said it.

Bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!

I think verbatim. Just got out from seeing it. I really liked it. Some of the dialog seemed a bit polished for the time (like Deadwood), but I expected that from the Coen brothers. And I didn't read it, so it may be close to the way the dialog was written in the book.

It's been so long since I've seen the original, I judged the movie on its own merit. I thought Jeff Bridges did a good job. I think anyone could've played Matt Damon's character. The young girl was interesting, but sometimes unbelievably cold.

I'll definitely rent it or buy the movie when it comes out.

cayton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think verbatim. Just got out from seeing it. I really liked it. Some of the dialog seemed a bit polished for the time (like Deadwood), but I expected that from the Coen brothers. And I didn't read it, so it may be close to the way the dialog was written in the book.

It's been so long since I've seen the original, I judged the movie on its own merit. I thought Jeff Bridges did a good job. I think anyone could've played Matt Damon's character. The young girl was interesting, but sometimes unbelievably cold.

I'll definitely rent it or buy the movie when it comes out.

I was contemplating reading the book, and several reviews mentioned that the girl was almost comically cold.

Latest posts

Top Bottom