Trying to decide on a CCW...Opinions Wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpiritLead

New to the site!
Reaction score
Okay heres the deal, I had my heart set on Glock 27. I have a couple of friends who have them I've put about 100 rounds through the G27. They have quite a kick though I was still pretty accurate with it. Almost bought one a month ago and was set on getting it...till I shot my friends Taurus Millinium Pro in .45ACP 10rd mag. Man was I impressed it had less recoil than the G27 and was more comfortable in hand. Almost felt like a 9mm, couldn't believe it was a .45. I don't know, maybe it was cause I was shooting his reloads but I'm gonna shoot some factory new ones through it and try out a G30 at the range as well. From what I've heard its pretty common for the .40cal to have more recoil because it requires more powder and is a high pressure faster round does that sound right? Opinions are welcome please tell me what you think!

I'm leaning toward either a 9mm or the .45 just because of less recoil...Some of the research I saw with the newer 9mm hollows produce similar ballistic results as the .40 cal so why get a subcompact .40 when you can hold more rounds with the 9mm have less recoil and produce similar results. However the .45 is a beast but doesn't feel like a hand cannon if my wife wants to shoot it. Anyway tell me what U think.
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or the Hand gun section since it will be a CCW.

BravoOne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I would suggest the 9mm... I've carried a G19 & G17... I currently carry an M&P 9 Full Sized... (Wife shoots it better & wanted us to have the same weapon)

9mm is just as effective as any other round with proper ammo & if you run the gun... Also 9mm is waaay cheaper... Cheaper ammo = More trigger time (I.e. learning to shoot your gun)... Also the higher capacity = More rounds if SHTF...

Just my $.02... YMMV...

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally think that the recoil from a .40 is more "snappy" and makes the muzzle rise for than a .45. The .45 seems to be more of a "push" straight back. Probably due to the higher pressure of the .40.

As far as which gun to carry - pick a gun you shoot well, is absolutely reliable, and one that you will actually carry, in a defensive caliber. I have had several carry pistols over the years and have figured out that the perfect carry pistol does not exist. There are trade-offs that you must decide on - light weight for easier carry or heavier for less recoil; thin and short grip for concealment or thicker and longer grip to allow more rounds and better shootability; longer barrel for accuracy vs shorter barrel for concealment; 9mm for more rounds vs .40 or .45 for bigger bullets, etc.

I now carry a 9mm Beretta PX4 subcompact just about everywhere as it seems to be a good fit for me based on the above.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Practice will make your concerns of recoil go away. Yes, 9mm "pops", 40 S&W is "snappy" and 45ACP "bumps", but they're all relatively mild unless you have a really lightweight pistol.

Your prospective choices span a range of sizes from fairly small (G27) to a brick (G30). See if you can wear one around a gunshop or house in an IWB holster for a while before you commit. If you go big, set aside enough to get a P3AT or LCP and a hip pocket holster. At some point, you'll drift to "the gun to carry when you can't carry (or don't feel like dressing around a..) a gun".

shootlikeagirl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the G 17 and G 26. I love them both! You can't go wrong with a Glock! They are accurate and will last forever! I usually carry a S & W AirLite (can't mess that one up) and a Ruger 32 (easy to conceal). If you decide you don't like them, you can always sell it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom