U.S. Army Characterizes People “Frustrated With Mainstream Ideologies” As Terrorists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the Assymetric Warfare Group (AWG) has done is try to create an orderly method/tool for commanders to use as a guide as they try to sort potential radical members out of the military. The flow charts themselves don't tag anyone or any group in particular as "radical" though they do characterize those groups that advocate "illegal" violence as radical.

The article mixes snippets from many different studies and implies they are all part of some single woven tapestry. They are all part of security agencies worried about domestic terrorism - so in that sense they are linked. However, their conclusions are not mutually agreed upon, nor do the studies inform each other, rather they appear to have been done in various stovepipes.

Try looking at it this way - when there was a great deal of concern about left-wing radicalism, membership in certain unions was a "flag" - it didn't mean you were a radical but since there was known radical activity within certain unions it was natural to scrutinize members of that union.

I will also acknowledge that there will certainly be abuses of any "profiling" system, which is what this really is, and that is why we need to have independent courts, legislative, and executive powers to provide additional checks and balances on such misuse of power. That is just part of the never-ending vigilance required to preserve liberty against external and internal threats.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
That flow chart describes most of you radical, bitter, social misfits. Fortunately, you are blessed with my benevolent guidance for your otherwise meaningless and pathetic lives.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Point of order: It does not characterize people who are "Frustrated with Mainstream Ideologies" as Terrorists.

It says that people who exhibit that trait, and others, may be predisposed to radicalization or violence.

It's not wrong. That fact that flow chart could be applied to a citizen doesn't make it wrong either.

There's a world of difference between being a radical, let alone being predisposed to radicalization, and being a terrorist. The document doesn't even mention terrorism in the context of labelling people as such...it mentions terrorist acts and precursors to them....all of which are true and accurate in my personal observations and experience.

Fallout from the Fort Hood shooting most likely....Hasan was a failure of leadership. He should have been run up the flag pole a long time before he did what he did, but our military leaders are risk averse. They like to have pretty flowcharts to protect their ass and justify their actions.

That, is the single worst trait those in command and management positions can have. The law of unintended consequences is alive and well due to rampant risk aversion. :(

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds logical....everyone, other than conspiracy theorists, knows that conspiracy theorists have lost touch with reality and should be watched for other such abnormal behavior before they pop a gasket. I won't mention names but some of you should just save the taxpayers money and turn yourselves in lol.

Obviously I'm the exception because although I can't prove it I KNOW chupacabra's are stealing my taco's. In case the government is reading this...I didn't buy the guns to kill the chupacabra's, that would be silly, I got them to stop the Yeti's.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm looking at this flowchart correctly, it is an attempt to catch the next McVeigh before he acts. Will it do that? I doubt it.

You are reading the flowchart correctly, and you are right it probably won't achieve it's goal but it is a place for commanders to start a systematic approach to analyzing their own troops.

Latest posts

Top Bottom