Urban Deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copper01

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone else see the dead deer on the road around 23rd and Lottie this morning? I live out in the sticks and it still amazes me to see deer this far in urban areas. I've seen them them around 23rd and Sooner several times but that area is fairly undeveloped. Makes me wonder about the size of the urban deer herd in Oklahoma.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are lots of urban woodlot deer. Sometimes a pretty good buck can be found in these small parcels because they don't get hunted. If I lived in the city, I would rather have an 80 acre semi wooded lease then a 160 acre lease a couple hours away. The closeness would allow me to get in lots of bowhunting in. The deer would be used to vehicular traffic and other "city noise" and that would help the deer to be less spooky.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a lot of wildlife in the OKC/Edmond area. I have seen deer grazing at the Edmond Farmer's Market site (downtown) in the wee hours.

papal

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a really nice herd I've seen several times just north of lake Hefner in the woods between the dam and that big neighborhood. Between the park and the open fields area it's probably about 2-300 acres, with lots of human activity. I bet there are a few monsters in there.

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
papal said:
There's a really nice herd I've seen several times just north of lake Hefner in the woods between the dam and that big neighborhood. Between the park and the open fields area it's probably about 2-300 acres, with lots of human activity. I bet there are a few monsters in there.

Yeah that's Summerfield/Bluff Creek I used to live there. People have feeders out for them. I believe the land belongs to the public works dept.

Never saw any monsters, I alway wanted to go in with my bow.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The monster at Summerfield/Bluffcreek was killed by a car and became a mechanical deer. The urban deer are used to people and urban noises and do not get too excited by people since they are not harmed. They coexist in relative safety and get quite used to people. If you have some "regulars" you can learn alot from their interactions with each other. I have learned a great deal over the years.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i live near edmond road and western. we see deer and turkey every day. even feed turkey in the yard occasionally

Latest posts

Top Bottom