US Army's new grooming standards called racially biased

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The U.S. Army is coming under fire for changes to its appearance and grooming standards, which some say discriminates against black women who wear their hair natural.

Army Regulation 670-1 has not been published or made official yet, but the new rules were detailed in a PowerPoint presentation that was leaked on March 20. Among the grooming regulations are updated restrictions on how women soldiers can wear their hair.

Within and outside of the Army, women of color have been calling the guidelines racially biased.

http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/w300-61ce43207298c2eb17a1176108c8efa7.jpg

http://newsok.com/us-armys-new-grooming-standards-called-racially-biased/article/3948471 ArmyHair.jpg

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally being a Army veteran; females have far fewer standards than their male counterparts. I personally see now issues with what they are proposing. People will gripe and complain and find anything they can say like racism, etc to try and win an argument.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am just glad that the didn't go with the no sideburns rule and left it as is.

maybe the military should just have everyone, male and female, get buzz cuts ... I mean, really ... easy, peasy, in and out of the shower in 5 minutes ...

5 mins?!? Hell! That is if you are also taking care of business in the shower.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The most lame excuse I ever heard for a deviation from the uniform standards that was "it's a cultural thing and if you don't like it, you're racist".

Individuality was given up when you put on the UNIFORM. That's what it means, everyone is the same.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Army doesn't enforce the standards they have now for hair and makeup, what makes them think the new standards will be any better? Let's concentrate on being the most lethal fighting force on the planet, not changing standards and uniforms over and over. I guess changing the grooming standards won't cost $5 million+ like the uniform BS though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom