Using legal pot on own time fireable offense - Colorado Court Ruling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cdcwonder2015_2new.jpg

This is more than I would have guessed.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
http://newsok.com/colorado-workers-...-pot-off-duty-court-rules/article/feed/851886

Wow, this country is full of control freaks...I am against people using drugs or abusing alcohol but as long as they are not hurting anyone or impaired at work I just don't see how you can do this if it is a LEGAL activity? This is one of those cases where I'm against the behavior but support the freedom...it is just a plant. What's next, if you own guns at home you can be fired?

It’s just a “plant”. Why should employers care what their minions do?

It is because employers are concerned that those employees who smoke weed at home can cost them money due to lost time which means lost productivity and they are likely to raise insurance costs. If one is running a business, they have a legitimate concern. If someone does not like an employer's no-weed position, don't work there.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s just a “plant”. Why should employers care what their minions do?

It is because employers are concerned that those employees who smoke weed at home can cost them money due to lost time which means lost productivity and they are likely to raise insurance costs. If one is running a business, they have a legitimate concern. If someone does not like an employer's no-weed position, don't work there.

Are you also okay with a no smoking(tobacco), no drinking alcohol(both while not at work), or even an anti obese policy(health insurance costs are a real concern for all of these)?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stated a reason “why” employers can be concerned. Shall I ask why are you not OK with it?

If you really want to know....there is what is legal and what is right. My opinion on the matter is more moral than anything. You pay an employee to perform a function or duty while on the clock, you don't pay an employee to control their actions while off the clock(especially if those actions are perfectly legal). Does an employer have the legal right to fire someone for anything, even if it is absurd? In this case it seems so. Is it morally right for a company to fire a punctual, team-player who does their job well for something they are legally doing while off the clock? In my honest opinion, the answer is no. Although I do agree, if you don't like the policy, find another job.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you really want to know....there is what is legal and what is right. My opinion on the matter is more moral than anything. You pay an employee to perform a function or duty while on the clock, you don't pay an employee to control their actions while off the clock(especially if those actions are perfectly legal). Does an employer have the legal right to fire someone for anything, even if it is absurd? In this case it seems so. Is it morally right for a company to fire a punctual, team-player who does their job well for something they are legally doing while off the clock? In my honest opinion, the answer is no. Although I do agree, if you don't like the policy, find another job.

I agree with what you are saying completely. I dont smoke anything and have never had a drink, many folks think that I should not care or have a say in things like this. As I see it if a employer decides he does not like rose bushes and I have them, he can fire me for the rose bushes. That may be legal but it is not right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom