Vehicle Extended Warranty - Are they worth it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Third party warranty? No way. I did pay the difference on my '09 Ram to upgrade the factory 7/70 with lifetime power train to be lifetime bumper to bumper. Haven't really needed it yet so can't comment on anything else about it.

Lifetime bumper-to-bumper???? Wow. What did this cost you? And what is considered "lifetime"? Is it seriously as long as you own it, they'll replace any little switch, bulb or gizmo that stops working correctly? I've never heard of that.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lifetime bumper-to-bumper???? Wow. What did this cost you? And what is considered "lifetime"? Is it seriously as long as you own it, they'll replace any little switch, bulb or gizmo that stops working correctly? I've never heard of that.
Pretty common for Dodge these days, but there are certain requirements. All recommended maintenance intervals have to be done by dealer, at the recommended times, etc or it can void the warranty. So yeah, they'll warranty it for life, but they get to stick it to you for all your oil changes, filters, etc

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty common for Dodge these days, but there are certain requirements. All recommended maintenance intervals have to be done by dealer, at the recommended times, etc or it can void the warranty. So yeah, they'll warranty it for life, but they get to stick it to you for all your oil changes, filters, etc

Doing maintenance at the dealer for life more than supercedes the cost of the warranty AND of nearly any repairs. I'll pass. When it doubles or triples the cost of your maintenance, unless it's corporate and they're paying.

Oh well... as usual, I knew it was too good to be true and/or realistically useful.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What's your source for this statement? I never saw any requirement like this in the Chrysler extended warranty I had on my Jeep Grand Cherokee (which I sold last year, and received a refund for the extended warranty I'd purchased on it). Here's a quote from www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com:

Q. What are a customer's responsibilities under the terms of a Chrysler Service Contract?
Customers are responsible for proper operation and maintenance of vehicles covered by a Chrysler Service Contract, just as if the vehicle is operating under warranty. Please refer to the Owner's Manual supplied by Chrysler (or other vehicle manufacturer) for detailed information. Be sure to keep all receipts and work orders related to the maintenance of your vehicle. This will help to determine if the recommended maintenance schedule was followed, should the need arise.

The only thing they require is that you follow recommended service intervals and maintenance schedule; doesn't matter where the service work is done or who does it as long as you keep all the receipts and work orders.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're considering a vehicle for which you really need an extended warranty because on average they are such pieces of ****, then you should drop that idea and buy something else. The same applies to any product. Life without extended-warranties is much more rich (literally).

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chrysler totally screwed me on my NORMAL powertrain warranty. Since I took it in a few thousand miles BEFORE their normal maintenance
requirement because of a long trip they decided not to cover a front differential repair that cost me big time! I even took it to corporate and they basically told me to **** off.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's your source for this statement? I never saw any requirement like this in the Chrysler extended warranty I had on my Jeep Grand Cherokee (which I sold last year, and received a refund for the extended warranty I'd purchased on it). Here's a quote from www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com:

Q. What are a customer's responsibilities under the terms of a Chrysler Service Contract?
Customers are responsible for proper operation and maintenance of vehicles covered by a Chrysler Service Contract, just as if the vehicle is operating under warranty. Please refer to the Owner's Manual supplied by Chrysler (or other vehicle manufacturer) for detailed information. Be sure to keep all receipts and work orders related to the maintenance of your vehicle. This will help to determine if the recommended maintenance schedule was followed, should the need arise.

The only thing they require is that you follow recommended service intervals and maintenance schedule; doesn't matter where the service work is done or who does it as long as you keep all the receipts and work orders.

Wasn't through Chrysler, was through a 3rd party company. Different years and warranties will all have different terms and conditions as well.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're considering a vehicle for which you really need an extended warranty because on average they are such pieces of ****, then you should drop that idea and buy something else.

I don't disagree, but I can get into a Chrysler vehicle with a bumper-to-bumper 7 yr./100K mile warranty for thousands less than any supposedly superior vehicle. Do you know of a vehicle that will last that long and that many miles without needing some type of expensive repair?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Wasn't through Chrysler, was through a 3rd party company. Different years and warranties will all have different terms and conditions as well.

I question whether that is actually enforceable. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits such tie-ins; see 15 U.S.C. 2302(c):
(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—
(1)
the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2)
the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.
The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.
[boldface mine]

They can deny coverage if the maintenance wasn't performed, or was performed incorrectly, and that can be shown to be the cause of the failure, but they can't make you use a specific mechanic or specific brand of parts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom