Velocity IMR4064 vs Varget

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot the 6.5 Creedmoor the other day and used 123 gr ELDM bullets.

I used the same amount of powder same lot of 2x fired cases.
Up first was IMR4064.. 38.8 gr. 2,801....... 2,815...2,811 fps.
Next up the Varget .. 38.8 gr. Error......2,771......2,746 fps.

With my lots of varget and 4064 I always find 4064 has more velocity for the same charge weight.
They both impact the target close to the same area also I was shooting it at 200 yards and all shots combined were under 2".
This is a Savage Axis I shortened the barrel to 19"

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Case design & capacity, barrel length, and bullet diameter/length/weight, primers and flash hole etc...are all variables that will effect which powder performs "best" (in your case, 'fastest') in your designated combination.

Of course, if you keep charge weights constant across multiple powders I guess you can record one data set...but I'm not sure how useful that data is going to be when you try to transfer it to a different cartridge/bullet combo.

I'm also a fan of 1) accuracy and 2) ES and SD before 3) velocity...as long as velocity is acceptable.

For some reason over the last 5-10 years, guys have started bragging on velocity for their cartridge just as much as accuracy.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These loads are just about a start load for those powders. So not chasing high velocity.
Just something I have noticed with these 2 powders in the 6.5 and my .308 and 30-06.

Accuracy is my ultimate goal and like stated if the velocity is acceptable.

I do need enough velocity to make the bullet expand and not pencil through.
This was shot when it was 93 degrees outside.

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always been a big fan of both powders, in my guns. I have found that the accuracy is pretty much the same. I believe the biggest difference between the two is IMR4064 has more uses in more places (cal/bullet combos) and Varget is temp stable.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found similar increases with a 168 grain ELDM in my .308 20". Varget allowed me to get a good 2.800" on my hand loads, but 4064 too much crunch and crimp. Varget accuracy was pretty bad. 4064 was so good I started loading longer until I didn't have the crunch and accuracy is Stoopid for this HMR.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the .243’s I’ve ever had and the .308 I used to have loved Varget.

I used the same charge in every .243 and they always shoot great.

But my 30-06 likes 4064 better, so I keep a bunch of each.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Varget is about 1 gr off the same velocities as IMR4064. You're doing max loads so if you go 1 gr more with the Varget, it'll show the same-ish as the 4064. This according to Hodgdon and Load Datadotcom. Besides, 4064 is temp stable too, big plus imo

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Varget is about 1 gr off the same velocities as IMR4064. You're doing max loads so if you go 1 gr more with the Varget, it'll show the same-ish as the 4064. This according to Hodgdon and Load Datadotcom. Besides, 4064 is temp stable too, big plus imo
Hummm, now that's one I didn't know. Always thought IMR 4064 wasn't temp stable. Always thought that was the major difference and reason for the switch to Varget when it was first introduced.
Just goes to show you that no matter how much you know about something or how long you have been involved in it, you NEVER know it all. Even about something you have used for decades.
See, Old Dogs can still learn, lol. Thanks that's good and appreciated info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom