Wars your family fought in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can directly document WWII from both grandfathers.

My Great-grandfather was too old for WWI at the time, so I know I can count that one out. I don't believe he was in the Spanish American war (as I am led to believe he was still in Arkansas at that time), but I cannot be sure.

I am certain I had relatives that fought in the Civil War (for the south, as they were in Arkansas), and the Revolutionary War (family lived in the Jamestown/Hampton/Norfolk, VA area for quite some time before coming to Arkansas. I know they were there as early as 1648).

My Cherokee relatives were continually at war with the Creeks from what I have on record.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my grandpa was in the USAF during korea but he was stationed in france. He trained at Lackland AFB. My great grandpa was in the navy before WWII but was too old to enlist once the US got involved. My grandpas older brother was a corpsman in WWII and saved a couple officers from a jap sniper somewhere in the pacific

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't go back too far, guess I need to research some family history.

WW2 Pacific Theatre / Korea (Grandpa) I just recently found out he was at Iwo Jima, Guadal Canal, Midway, he was stationed on the USS Saratoga. Korean war, he was in the Air Force but I'm not exactly sure what he did.

Vietnam (Great Uncle) Pararescue, so others may live. I have a lot of respect and admiration for this man.

Iraq/GWOT (Me) Cryptologic Technician

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
War of Northern Aggression G-G-G- grandfathers. One on the North and one on the South.(Cherokee Mounted Rifle regiment)

WWI Grandfather. US Army

WWII Father/father in law and two uncles. All Navy
Korea Father USAF
Desert Shield/Storm ---Me USAF
GWOT- Son currently in USAF

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't go back too far, guess I need to research some family history.

WW2 Pacific Theatre / Korea (Grandpa) I just recently found out he was at Iwo Jima, Guadal Canal, he was stationed on the USS Saratoga. Korean war, he was in the Air Force but I'm not exactly sure what he did.

Vietnam (Great Uncle) Pararescue, so others may live. I have a lot of respect and admiration for this man.

Iraq (Me) Cryptologic Technician

Hump -- Just reread your post. My Father spent some time on the Saratoga in WWII. He was an aviation ordnancemen.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hump -- Just reread your post. My Father spent some time on the Saratoga in WWII. He was an aviation ordnancemen.

My Grandpa was an Aviation Machinist Mate. He died when I was very little, my mom and I have been going to their reunions trying find anyone who might have known him. Those old guys were/are some bad a$$es.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Grandpa was an Aviation Machinist Mate. He died when I was very little, my mom and I have been going to their reunions trying find anyone who might have known him. Those old guys were/are some bad a$$es.

True that..... There is a reason why those folks are referred to as the greatest generation, both the ones that fought and died and those that were on the home front supporting them......

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good resources to check

1) Military service, and

2) Colonial immigration records (maybe this is a poor description, but I know my family came to VA in the mid-1600s

I have traced the family name (paternally, obviously) back to the 1500s in England and want to check on any military service and immigration records.

Waltherfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Great Uncle served in WWII at Anzio and Bastogne with the 101st.
Another Uncle was in Viet Nam.
I served 24 years and never wound up in a combat zone. Enlisted when Viet Nam was still going on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom