Weatherby branded safe question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Amsec Safes. Let Mayfair Key and Lock set the combo. Cheap service call. And have your buddy make sure it is bolted to the concrete and that a good humidifier rod is in it and working.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is open then make sure it stays open !! You can lock the bolts with the door open to ensure it doesn’t get locked !!!! Any decent locksmith should be able to reset combo pretty easy, my in town service call is 65.00 and to reset combo on most opened safes would be 40.00 to 50.00 bucks for around 105.00 - 115.00 dollars total.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Amsec Safes. Let Mayfair Key and Lock set the combo. Cheap service call. And have your buddy make sure it is bolted to the concrete and that a good humidifier rod is in it and working.
Amsec is good stuff. I got one of the small ones made out of half inch solid steel from the City of Tulsa auction a few years ago. Probably not getting another one close to the $300 that I paid for this though.... it was a pretty good deal.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Safes are designed to keep folks out, once open, all the fun bits are rather easy to get to.

If it's open, it's not a big deal for a locksmith to reset the combination on a lock or just install a new lock.
The tool for resetting a mechanical lock varies by manufacture and many not be as simple as an Allen key. Insertion of the wrong tool can damage components, and usually the tool has to be inserted when the current combination is dialed in. Then a specific procedure is used to dial in the new combination.

My experience is limited to mechanical locks, and I have not had reason to play with the electronic ones.
In my experience, if a mechanically adept person can partially disassemble the back of a mechanical lock, they can work out the existing combination by careful observation. Watch out for springs flying when you remove a cover plate.

Its not that difficult to install a new lock if the existing lock is damaged but take the time to read the manufacturer's instructions for the new lock and existing lock if you can find them. Careful positioning of the outside features relative to the lock is a must or the dial binds.

Some have a few fussy bits related to the orientation of the dial to the lock set. Especially if the internal parts are designed so they can be placed in multiple orientations relative to the lines on the outside bezel.

If you decide to mess with the lock yourself, buy a quality lock. Go slow when dialing in the combination and set the numbers carefully. Test your work several times before actually locking the door to the frame of the safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom