Weatherford Frac Video.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Six figures, but at what cost in lost family time and other non-monetary important things?

Def a young, single man's gig.

Depends on how you look at it. Work a 40 hour job and be home every night but not have the extra money to do anything with the family or work a 14 and 7 schedule and be able to make the most of your 7 days at home with the family.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True, but you know what they say, in 30 years your kids won't care what kind of car you drove or what your bank balance was...all that will matter is that you were around (I ditched a $180k+ per year job for just that reason).

If it's a choice between work and no work, sure I get that, but folks that get drawn in by "6 figure" salaries often forget the real cost of that salary.

(Not to mention folks rarely boil that 6 figures down to an hourly rate. Lots of jobs are 6 figures, if you want to work 18 hour days, 6 days a week LOL. That ain't livin')

Still, I know it's hard work...gotta admire anyone that sticks and makes a career of it.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you completely. I've been out of college for 10 years and almost 8 of them have been spent in the oil field. I have missed a lot but my life would be completly different today had I chosen a different career path. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones where hard work and being in the right place at the right time with the right attitude finally pays off. In about two weeks I'm moving into a 40 hr Mon-fir corporate level job with no loss in pay. As much as I'm going to miss what I do now I'm ready to be home more with my family and have a little slower pace.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, but you know what they say, in 30 years your kids won't care what kind of car you drove or what your bank balance was...all that will matter is that you were around (I ditched a $180k+ per year job for just that reason).

If it's a choice between work and no work, sure I get that, but folks that get drawn in by "6 figure" salaries often forget the real cost of that salary.

(Not to mention folks rarely boil that 6 figures down to an hourly rate. Lots of jobs are 6 figures, if you want to work 18 hour days, 6 days a week LOL. That ain't livin')

Still, I know it's hard work...gotta admire anyone that sticks and makes a career of it.
I agree. I started in frac and moved to coil-tubing. I went from there to Thru-tubing tools and well control. It was ok, before I had kids and when the kids were young. I made the choice to be home with the kids until they are grown and gone from the house. I gave up a lot of money, but I am home every night. I have been talking to the wife about making a 1, or 2 year run at fishing tools when the kids move out. I have turned down 3 Tool/Fishing jobs in the last year. I never told people what I made when I ran tools, because I did not think they would believe me. My friends keep asking what I have been offered by the last company that called me. I have not told them, because I don't think they would believe me. lol.
There is a lot more to life then money.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you completely. I've been out of college for 10 years and almost 8 of them have been spent in the oil field. I have missed a lot but my life would be completly different today had I chosen a different career path. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones where hard work and being in the right place at the right time with the right attitude finally pays off. In about two weeks I'm moving into a 40 hr Mon-fir corporate level job with no loss in pay. As much as I'm going to miss what I do now I'm ready to be home more with my family and have a little slower pace.
Congrats brother.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In about two weeks I'm moving into a 40 hr Mon-fir corporate level job with no loss in pay. As much as I'm going to miss what I do now I'm ready to be home more with my family and have a little slower pace.

Congrats...enjoy the family. They're only young once!

soonerbulldog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of what I thought. It pleases me to see people taking the family route. I see too often workaholics regretting and missing out on the younger years. Not to mention the countless times I've seen their money being spent and their wives getting in to trouble with it. These jobs are for single and young.

Latest posts

Top Bottom