We'll give you a discount if you let us track your movements...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a flyer from my insurance company about a discount we can "earn" if we allow the company to collect driving data. All we have to do - it's SO easy - is to download an app, connect it to the Bluetooth beacon so considerately provided by the company, and that's it. For a few bucks off our premium, we can let the insurance company track our vehicle's movements. How nice of them to give us such an easy discount, right??

Nope. Not gonna sign away my privacy.

Have any of you folks received such a spurious offer?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same thing as Progressive asking you to plug in their little housing to your car's ODBII port, maybe another step further. They just want to gather information on your movements and habits so they can sell it to 3rd parties so they can send you targeted advertising.

What could be wrong with that?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Further, my understanding was they'll track your speed and if you do speed, ever, BOOM! no more discount and instead you get slapped with a rate hike.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not have a cell phone and 2 of my vehicles do not have cigarette lighters or any type of plug in.
I have had one vehicle sit in the same spot since October 2014.. still insured.
Track that movement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom