What AR Optics to buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you're only planning on using it for pretty short range -- i.e. under 300 yards (which is where that rifle is most ballistically effective anyway). Unmagnified optics like the Aimpoint and EOTech will not hold you back at all at those ranges. Neither will the factory iron sights. The trajectory for that rifle is such that when you're zeroed at 25m you're also zeroed at 300m, so you can aim dead on at a man-sized target anywhere from point blank out to 350m or so and get a hit somewhere on it (that's the concept of battle sight zero). I would definitely prefer the 2 MOA dot version of the Aimpoint over the 4 MOA version for the reason that was mentioned -- a 4-MOA dot is as big as a human head-sized target at 250m, and it is tough to place a round accurately when you're trying to block out the whole target with your dot! If you want to do anything other than close quarters with it, I'd go with the 2 MOA dot.

If you want a telescopic sight, I'd stick with the lower powered ones for those kind of ranges. Don't get anything you can't adjust down to at least 4x.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The four MOA dot is fine. It's not a sniper rifle. Magnification will help you see better, not necessarily shoot better.

I've rocked plenty of steel targets out to 300 with both my T-1 and my old EOTech 553. The cool thing about the Aimpoint though is the battery life. Anytime I need the rifle, it's ready to go with no fiddling.

Ek

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just got a Colt 6920 in a trade and it shoots GREAT. I was killing skeet against the berm at 100 yards with open sights.

I was looking at the Trijicon ACOG, but I don't really want to spend that much money.

I found a combo deal on an Aimpoint Comp ML-2 with mount for under half the price of an ACOG, but I don't know enough about the Aimpoint to know if it would be any good for any kind of distance. I want an optical sight to be good for at least 200 yards. I don't want to add the expense and weight of the magnifier to the package.

Any ideas?

Go ahead and get the Aimpoint combo you found. Maybe I can shoot it before you get a chance to, just like I did with the rifle. :thumbup3:

But beware, I may take it home with me.