what are the best 1911 magazines for the $$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wilson 47D for my full size and Wilson 47 OX for my ultra carry.

Chip McCormick are good too I just prefer Wilson so I can take them apart like a normal mag.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most mags work at first. Once they have been loaded for a few months, most don't work, in my experience.

I use 7 round metalform mags with rounded and skirted followers and extra power springs in my weapon for a flush fit bottom.

Tripp cobra mags for backup. Any flush fit 8 rounders I ever used failed after a year. Wilson, CMC, all.

7 round magazines generally work well for years, but the rounded and skirted followers never travel forward.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Until last week I would have unequivocally said Wilson 47D. However, with a buddy's new Sig 1911 none of my Wilsons would reliably lock his slide back. Had never run across this before. So, next suggestion for him was McCorimick mags. Positive lock every time. Buy one of each and draw your own conclusion. Also have had years of good luck with Mec-Gar.

Can't think of any factory mags I care for.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the CMC Power Mags for carry/ spares. Don't recall ever having a mag related malfunction with one. Basic (1/2 the cost) CMC's for range practice. If you buy enough Metalform mags, you can get dealer prices. One of the more common 1911 gun forum group buys, which speaks of their price/ performance. For Aluminum framed 1911s, I prefer plastic followers that can't ding the feed ramp.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to try several different brands. I gave away a wilson 47D because it did not function reliably but the Chip McCormack power mags were flawless in that pistol. YMMV but I think the CMC magazines are better than the Wilson magazines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom