What are the best public lands for spring turkeys?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlockinz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might wanna look into the SE, there will probably be more birds out there due to lower human population, less pressure, and better habitat. Then again, these may be Easterns as well...

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might wanna look into the SE, there will probably be more birds out there due to lower human population, less pressure, and better habitat. Then again, these may be Easterns as well...

In my experience turkey numbers are alot higher out west than back east. That being said there aren't too many dumb public land birds anywhere.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some buddies that do real well on Honobia. Any place you can do ok after you have hunted it for a few years and learn where to look and what the birds usually do. Like Brian said, you can set up and ambush them without ever calling if you have them scouted well.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Black Kettle!!! It is broken up into a ton of small sections so you dont have people pushing them too far. I generally wait till the third week of the season and head out there. Awesome place

Lexington has a large population and they will respond easily right up until the youth season. It turns that place upside down. Im all for the youth seasons, they are a great idea. I just wish it wasnt the weekend prior to the season opening

Reaction score
Can anyone name off (by PM to me) a group of black kettle units (say 3, 5, 10, 15, or whatever, among the 113) that maybe see less pressure/ hunters than some other ones, and/or have a lot of birds? C'mon just name all the best ones cept your own little honey hole. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom