what are you feelings on a CCW with a trigger job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My feeling is that it does not matter. If you have to use your concealed weapon, then it is either a legitimate, legal use of deadly force or it's not.

I would be uncomfortable carrying anything with a super light trigger pull.

Josh Smith

Marksman
Reaction score
Hello,

Cases have been tried. I've have to dig up the specific examples.

There haven't been many, and in the ones in which this, or handloads, has been an issue, it's a relatively small one and all the cases I've read where it was mentioned, the judge saw it as a desperation tactic by the prosecuting attorney.

I believe it's been successfully used in civil proceedings, though, wrongful death and the like.

A much bigger issue is saying the gun accidentally went off. That's a bad idea and will land you with negligent manslaughter or criminal recklessness.

If you're in a shooting and are actually arrested for it, just say something along the lines of "I was in fear for my life. I fired to stop the threat. I would like to stand on my right to remain silent and I would like to speak to my attorney." Then SHUT UP! I cannot stress that enough.

The prosecutor will try everything to get you thrown in jail. There is no such thing as a lawyer-proof gun. Don't try to make one lawyer-proof or -resistant.

The best things you can do are to get more training than the police officers, and find out what ammo your local PD carries and carry the same.

Most non-gun folks do not know the difference between a bullet an a primer, and many think that the whole cartridge leaves the barrel (ala cartoon bullets chasing after Wile E. Coyote, or whomever). These are the folks who will be trying you. They need to know three things: You feel awful about having to shoot a person, your weapon (and you!) worked exactly as intended, and the ammo was not anything evil but rather what the friendly neighborhood police officers carry.

They can then make a judgement as to whether your actions were rational and justified.

Regards,

Josh

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Glock that I shoot and carry and I won't go less than a 5lb trigger pull. I had thought about carrying a S&W 1911SC but after a trip to the range I decided that the trigger pull was too light for a gun that should be cocked and locked and decided against it for carry.

To me a very light trigger pull in a high stress situation is not a good thing.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good shoot is a good shoot. A bad one is bad one. Unless you accidentally shoot someone you didn't mean to shoot, it should never come up. Just in case it does, you prepare to refute the argument. If the trigger job is one that aids accuracy without increasing the likelihood of a negligent discharge, it's a good thing. Don't get too hung up on trivialities like this, especially in Oklahoma. There's a reason we don't live in an area that's openly hostile to self-defense.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On any handgun for concealed carry, like my Glocks that don't have a traditional thumb safety lever to click on & off... I would never want less than a 5 pound trigger pull. To darn easy to snag the trigger on clothing when holstering / re-holstering and touch off a round. Also, unlike when hunting or target shooting... when under the pressure of a life & death situation... people tend to get a adrenaline rush and that will make a 5 pound trigger pull seem like a 1 pound pull.

What use to get a lot of people into trouble in the courts.... who used a gun to defend themselves... was going Hollywood with their bullets--- altering them so they would cause more damage than the original manufactured design. Such as cutting deep X's in the tips. I remember one time a movie showed a guy breaking a fever thermometer and putting some mercury in the tip of his hollowpoint bullets and then sealing it with some wax. The mercury was suppose to assure the bad guy died from mercury poisoning because it was so hard for doctors to get it all out of the blood system. It got a lot of publicity and people all over were trying it. Then one guy went to prison for approx. 30 yrs after shooting someone with a mercury laced bullet... when if he'd have used a unaltered bullet he would have been OK....and most people decided that wasn't such a good idea after all. The altered bullets were seen as a deliberate attempt to cause serious injury or death, rather than mere self defense to stop a threat when using commercial ammo.

Last edited:

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello,

There haven't been many, and in the ones in which this, or handloads, has been an issue, it's a relatively small one and all the cases I've read where it was mentioned, the judge saw it as a desperation tactic by the prosecuting attorney.

I believe it's been successfully used in civil proceedings, though, wrongful death and the like.

A much bigger issue is saying the gun accidentally went off. That's a bad idea and will land you with negligent manslaughter or criminal recklessness.

If you're in a shooting and are actually arrested for it, just say something along the lines of "I was in fear for my life. I fired to stop the threat. I would like to stand on my right to remain silent and I would like to speak to my attorney." Then SHUT UP! I cannot stress that enough.

The prosecutor will try everything to get you thrown in jail. There is no such thing as a lawyer-proof gun. Don't try to make one lawyer-proof or -resistant.

The best things you can do are to get more training than the police officers, and find out what ammo your local PD carries and carry the same.

Most non-gun folks do not know the difference between a bullet an a primer, and many think that the whole cartridge leaves the barrel (ala cartoon bullets chasing after Wile E. Coyote, or whomever). These are the folks who will be trying you. They need to know three things: You feel awful about having to shoot a person, your weapon (and you!) worked exactly as intended, and the ammo was not anything evil but rather what the friendly neighborhood police officers carry.

They can then make a judgement as to whether your actions were rational and justified.

Regards,

Josh

thanks for all the great info I do appreciate your input and all others that contributed.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good shoot is a good shoot. A bad one is bad one. Unless you accidentally shoot someone you didn't mean to shoot, it should never come up. Just in case it does, you prepare to refute the argument. If the trigger job is one that aids accuracy without increasing the likelihood of a negligent discharge, it's a good thing. Don't get too hung up on trivialities like this, especially in Oklahoma. There's a reason we don't live in an area that's openly hostile to self-defense.

+1 to this, a trigger job is not going to turn a good shoot into a bad shoot.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think it makes a difference. I know there has been debates about this.

Finger doesn't go on trigger until your ready to shoot to stop a threat that is causing you to fear for your life. So a trigger job would make no difference. If your finger is on the trigger you are about to stop a threat, and will pull the trigger until the gun fires no matter what the tigger pull, if your finger is not on the trigger, the gun will not go off.

And unless clearing your house, etc. then your gun should not be out of your holster unless you have identified a life threatening threat and need to draw to stop the threat, again the trigger pull would make no difference except for a split second difference in when the gun will fire, not if the gun will fire, as your finger is coming back to fire the gun.

Just my thoughts.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hello,

Regards,

Josh

Luckily, here in the great state of Oklahoma we are safe from civil suits after a lawful act of self defense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom