What do you guys and gals keep in your safe room/ fraidy hole?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have an in garage one. The city is supposed to keep records so they may know homes to check on. We have brought our phones down with us, and they have worked. However, if a cell tower is out, and one is trapped I also have added a GMRS handheld or a CB handheld. May be over kill, but I have the shelter to begin with...

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried random female 20 yr olds, but the law doesn't like that. Neither did the females.

Sorry player, but sounds like you need to tighten up your game

h3AubVe.jpeg

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good idea on the jack and prying equipment--

Last night after i signed off -- i didnt realize there was a round 2 (or 3 or 4) at a bit past midnight when we got slammed with supposedly 100 mph winds --- im a skeptical guy by nature but it sounded horrendous and re-arranged all the back patio furniture

😂 same here. Per the camera on our front porch at 11:36 I had decided we were in the clear and I went outside to shut the cellar door that was propped open. At 11:45 ( 9 minutes later) we are making a mad dash to the cellar.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those that have pets that will not go into the shelter, they're statistically much more likely to survive unscathed if you just set them free and let them find their own spot outside. They're lower to the ground and able to get in holes you would never find, much less fit in.
My wife would gladly die before letting any pet run free in a tornado situation.
I keep having this scenario in my mind that I will have too forcibly put her in the cellar if one of the dogs get loose.
Fortunately for me, we have no dogs or pets now.
We travel so much that pets are a no-go.
We started traveling with two dogs which turned out to be a mess.
Your entire life on the road depends on the poop cycle of the pet.
You can't go anywhere on a tour or whatever without the dog's poop cycle dictating how long one can be on that excursion.
Cameras have to be deployed with a temp gauge in the pic to make sure the AC or heat hasn't quit to cook or freeze them.
Major PITA because if there is no wifi for the camera's, there is no trip.
No pets is good.
When we age and get off the road in the RV, lap dogs will be back in the picture. Mainly because she will be involved in their poop cycle to let them out and walk around the yard while I'm pleasantly alone, thank you very much.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ours has automatic lights, wind up flashlight, fan, and radio, another good LED flashlight, air horn and hearing protection, wrench to remove the two vent covers, 2 chairs, water bowl for dogs.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think ahead to your future. My brother had one of those underground metal ones installed and completely stocked it. Now that he has got older, he can't get in and out of it.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is about what I have in mine too. I also use it as a root cellar for 1 year of WIse Food buckets in case someone fires up the war machine again and I don't feel like rejoining civilization. 🙄

For those that have pets that will not go into the shelter, they're statistically much more likely to survive unscathed if you just set them free and let them find their own spot outside. They're lower to the ground and able to get in holes you would never find, much less fit in.

Also, is this website extremely slow for anyone else?
First thing we do when the weather looks bad is put harness and leash on both dogs. Easy to grab them and pull them in the shelter. Second part of that is if the worst case does happen and the house is demolished you already have them on a leash when you come out of shelter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom