What kind of offer would it take for you to move to a different job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
List the cons, list the pros. If the lists are close, and your making enough to pay the bills now, I would have trouble changing jobs.......... having a job you enjoy would be hard to give up. I've had a couple of friends recently who went with the "grass is greener on the other side", only to regret it. Always a tough choice to make.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure you realize there is more than just salary in a compensation package, look at everything to make sure the new position and earnings are what they appear to be.

What is the track record and stability of the new company versus the one that is making the offer? More income is great, but not if it doesn't last.

How is the management team at the new firm? Managers come and go, but can make a huge difference in your satisfaction.

Lastly, that is a pretty good jump, are you working for someone that is underpaying you currently? Or is there that much demand in your current field?

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would have to be a job I really wanted, and a place I really wanted to live. I get called every week with job offers in Elk City. All of the jobs pay alot more then what I make. I learned a long time ago that money is not everything.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pretty sweet gig right now with decent pay and I get to work from home. for me to just go back in to the office to work it would cost them another 5 bucks an hour. But to change company, it would have to be something stupid like 10-15 an hour more.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I would need an extra $50k a year and a BUNCH of perks to make it justified. The one thing that has always annoyed me about working for a small company is the lack of corporate aircraft. Flying commercial makes me feel like cattle and driving gets old.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
10-15% raise after we adjust the cost of living increase if any.

At this stage in life... Cash is king. A better post retirement insurance plan would factor into any offer.

I'd be open to just about any state with cc permits or less. NYC and CA or IL are out

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the OP, keep in mind that the most dependable method of increasing your salary is to move to a new company. Incremental raises rarely match what you can produce by lateral or upward moves within your industry. Just make sure that the new outfit is as financially strong as your current place.

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth, since I've only been in the 'real world' for two years now, and I work at a private company...

As I've moved up the chain at my current employer, my focus has always been to improve my quality of life. I've moved laterally and vertically at this company, and through a few different moves I've both opened new doors for myself, and secured a better quality of life ( be it extra vacation time, more pay, higher 401k matching etc).

I thoroughly enjoy my current position with the company, but at the end of the day, I go to work to make money. I don't go to work to help anyone else make a living, I go to make my own living. Naturally, a long the way both my fellow employees and the company are making money as well, but that's beside the point. I go to work to make sure I can pay my bills, and sustain the quality of life I currently have.

In order for me to leave my job here for another, I'd need to improve my quality of life. Whether they do it through more vacation time, different (flexible?) work schedule, more money or what have you, it would need to improve.

In my honest (read: young) opinion, everyone has a price. Hell, I'd flip burger at McDonalds everyday if they wanted to pay me enough. You just have to know what that price is, and what you're willing to sacrifice to get it. If another company offered me another $10k a year, but less vacation time, or longer work hours, then to me that's not worth it. The package deal is what it's all about. Know what your price is, and what you're trying to get out of a move to another company, and your answer should present itself to you.

Again, just the musings of a 24 year old.

TL;DR - Everyone has a price, what's yours?

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my current job as well. I would want benefits same as currently provided, double my current pay, with a contract for 10 years guaranteed, at a minimum. Breach of contract= full contract term pay+20%. I don't see that happening so I'll stay where I'm at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom