What's the deal with egg prices ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had been getting my eggs at natural grocers for 1.99/doz the entire past year, but the past two times ive gone they have been completely out. I asked the cashier, she said she had heard that it had something to do with losing/swapping out too much laying stock, which is causing huge shortages. I've read in several places that bird flu is causing the death of millions of chickens, not because they all get it, but because if one or two get it, the entire farm gets culled. I really want to get some chickens, but we have a small yard, and two chicken killer dogs.
Online the best price showing at Natural Grocers is like $5/dz.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many Chik-fil-a joints being built. Folks love Chik-fil-a. They’ll wait in line for the chikn sammich. Chik-fil-a can offer more money to buy their chikn cuz they got the demand up. So a chikn is worth more dead to sell to chik-fil-a than it is to keep alive and sell eggs from it. It’s really simple y’all! Lmao! I made that theory up cuz all the other theories had been mentioned.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many Chik-fil-a joints being built. Folks love Chik-fil-a. They’ll wait in line for the chikn sammich. Chik-fil-a can offer more money to buy their chikn cuz they got the demand up. So a chikn is worth more dead to sell to chik-fil-a than it is to keep alive and sell eggs from it. It’s really simple y’all! Lmao! I made that theory up cuz all the other theories had been mentioned.
Damn.....had me going. :ooh2:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never eaten a chik-fil-a sammich myself

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bird flu, last I heard.
Thats correct. It usually only strikes in back yard birds and CA has been a hotspot the past several years but the last 2 years it has spread nation wide to large bird houses. Good news is, they can replace laying hens from birth to laying in a short time so by summer, stocks should be back close to normal.

Last edited:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom