where are we at in the rut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We saw a scrape early last week and have seen signs of Bucks cruising. The Buck my son shot was one of the larger on the property and he was alone (which honestly shocked me - we were social grunting and Doe Bleeting at him, but I don't know if that helped draw him in). His neck wasn't very swollen, but there are two (at least) younger bucks on or near the property as well (so I don't know who's scrape it was).

They all went nocturnal with this last full moon, but Sunday seemed to be perfect for hunting as the wind kept them down all day and it died down right before sunset. Waning moon was at 85% the night before Sunday, and clouds were moving in (86 degrees in the day, but it was cooling off slightly). The buck my son got was the only one we saw the whole day and it was right at 7:02PM.

I've got several good sized does and one or two fawns, but they have not been showing up lately (its weird, I usually see only the does on my cams, this year its completely the opposite - seeing the bucks but almost never seeing fawns).

I've stopped hunting near feeders or plots and just set up near water - its so dry that they eventually have to get to one of the few ponds on the property (only a few nearby that aren't on the property), so I've got a good chance that they'll come to me.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had small bucks starting to spar this past weekend. One older buck was running other deer off of the feeder and challenging the younger bucks that would get to close. One younger buck rubbed and thrashed several saplings when I was watching him.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen the same 8pt chasing a herd of 10 does and fawns twice in the last week. Does don't seem to be interested so far. This is in the Grand Lake area. Just wish I had a camera with me at work.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The rut is predicated by the September full moon. The seeking phase is from September full moon (1oth,I think) to October full moon. The chase phase is from October full moon to November full moon with the breeding activity starting 2 -3 days after the November full moon (10th) The last 2 weeks after the October full moon the photo period is shortening, its getting colder, and the deer are more comfortable to move around. This 2 week period is when things get really exciting for hunters. If a person reads some of Charles Alscheimer's books on moon phases and his research of deer then everything will fall into place. I have followed his predictions for years and he has never been off yet. WELL worth your time and money to invest in some of his books .

keystone1974

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen only one small narrow 8 pt last night... But in my area of Public land the does each have a med. Sized yearling; one doe had bout a 65lb and a real small one with her. Last week I took a 64lb yearling instead of the large doe cause the coyotes would have prob eatin the tender oil thing if the mama went down

BOTLDPONY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
looks like he is from watonga, that is where my lease is at! hope to see some activity in the upcomming weeks.

had a doe and her yearlings in the front yard this evening eating the accorns, and had a bigger body deer in the front of the property about 20min ago i suspect a buck but could not tell. (lake t-bird).

Latest posts

Top Bottom