Which .30 cal mag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which .30 cal Mag

• .300 Win Mag

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • .300 WSM

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • .300 Rem Ult Mag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .300 Rem SAUM

• .300 Wby Mag

• Other/Wildcat

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

jhunt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the skinny. Have a .30-.30 for my "brush" gun and a .30-06 for my mid-range (<250 yds) gun for big game in the lower 48. Big fan of the .30 cals as I'm going to be investing in a .308 tactical platform for long range fun/comp shooting (and/or using in a pd if i change departments and could use it as a swat/sniper item). Been thinking and was wondering what the good ol magnum to round out he .30 cal arsenal to take all north american game would be. Would like to hear thoughts and explinations on what y'all think.

Am sort of in the process of getting into reloading by having someone let me use their equipment with the -.30 and -.06 as long as I buy the materials. Will be reloading for all 4 rifles when they all are acquired.

.300 Win Mag
.300 WSM
.300 Rem Ult Mag
.300 Rem SAUM
.300 Wby Mag
Other/Wildcat

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

jhunt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
the wildcats look cool i guess

this rifle is going to be at least a year or so away before its purchased so just looking for some stories and info for now

thanks guys n keep it comin

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.308 Norma ! Essentially a .338 win mag necked down to accept .308 bullets. Or a .300 Norma. If you have the coin go with a surgeon action. I've got a .300 win mag and don't really need anything more but I want a surgeon in 300 Norma. Both are best suited to the hand loader as no major American companies load any ammo. Or get a .300 wby mag.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you are going to hand load, but it is worth mentioning that .300 Win Mag is one of the few types of ammo you can actually find on the shelves in stores right now. You never know, we might hit another spot like in '08 when reloading supplies are impossible to find, and it might be nice to have the option of buying ammo off the shelf.

jhunt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
thats one of the things ive been considering a lot as well

i love the idea of hand loading "pet" rounds to shoot 5-shot touching groups etc etc but i also love how my '06 will take almost any 165g psp cheap-o from remmy win or fed and put em within 1.5" @ 100yds

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the 300 WM. You can fine tune a hand load for just about anything, and in a pinch, you can get good quality ammunition off the shelf. try doing that with a wildcat in a small town. Granted, some stores do indeed stock 300 wsm and RUM, but the RSAUM and Wby are not as popular on "local folks" shelves. The win mag would give you the greatest flexability in terms of rolling your own and still getting good factory in the majority of places.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like the 300 WM, miss mine badly.....

I do also like having a very common round, both because it's easy to find if need be, and there is tons of load data already available for it.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My vote is for 300 RUM. owning a rifle like this do you really need to worry about ammo availability? Sure you can get the 300 WM in a lot of places but my point is that when you own your dream rifle or a special rifle like this you may order ammo online and get 3-4 boxes. For sighting in purposes and hunting you may only go through several boxes a year. You are probably not going to be using this type of rifle in a SHTF situation or taking it out every weekend to the range.

This brings up my next point for choosing the RUM. I read an article in a gun mag 7 or so years ago. The author tested out a 300RUM at the range and was very impressed. Said it was the loudest freaking rifle he had ever shot. He also mentioned that if you do take it to the range expect a crowd to gather around and watch you shoot as the bang that come out of the barrel is amazing. Big bang = fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom