Which gun for hog hunting....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which gun should I use and what ammo would you put it it?

• Total voters

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can vote on multiple choices. Which gun should I use to go hog hunting in 2 weeks? Any advice, input, personal stories are welcome. In case you didn't read it already, I'm going to CENTRAL texas near Sweetwater to shoot some hogs the landowner is complaining about if I can find them. Some ponds are on the 720 acres, some open field areas and some with fairly dense cover (trees and shrubs) I think.

Which gun should I use and how should I go about doing it?

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted for the AR just because it's fun to hunt hogs with one. Try out some of that RBCD ammo. You can get it from Village Tactical. I've heard it's some good stuff and I'm curious to see how it works. I've killed pigs with my 45acp, 30-06, 454 Casull, 45-70, 44mag, 30-30, and my bow. Have fun, hope you get into them!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also vote for the .257, but there are so many variables! Whatever you do, have fun and bring back lots of bacon and pics!

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I voted for the Roberts because I really like that round.
But hogs are not that hard to kill I have a good friend who stacks them up with a 223. I have killed a boat load with everything from a 22 mag to a 45/70.
Get a gun you like in a caliber you like and get to killing them oinkers.

Pat

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I voted .257 bolt gun. My experience is that if I rush the first shot with my AR thinking I am going to kill multiples, I don't get any. Make the first shot count and then kill more if you can.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted .257 bolt gun. My experience is that if I rush the first shot with my AR thinking I am going to kill multiples, I don't get any. Make the first shot count and then kill more if you can.

That's a good point. I have thought about that a bit but never made it a completely formed thought if that makes sense.
Definitely first shot is the most important and when I only expect one shot because of the bolt, it makes it count more in the moment and harder to forget if I get excited. good food for thought.

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked the ar because of magazine capabilities. Also if you use a fmj bullet the keyhole effect and the crazy movement it makes after impact has almost the same effect as an expanding bullet. My buddies use 12ga with 00 buck. It has brought them down every time also. I would take all three on a trip like your making and try to have fun with them all.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First time I went, I took a 300 ultra mag because my friends said you had to have a big gun. I blew the whole back out of the hog. Plus it was not much of a challenge with a scope. The next year I took a 45-70 lever action with open sites. That was more fun. Then we all wanted to go with pistols, so that is when I bought my 454 Casull Raging Bull. This is by far the most fun and a good challenge. I took it several years in a row. Now I don't hunt, but if I was going to, it would be the Raging Bull with no scope.
ai785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_Biggsly_revolversandkittens005.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom