Which Watch are you wearing today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally was able to finish working on my next project watch tonight. Now the fun begins of turning all of the raw footage into something watchable.

This one is 2nd in the series of 'Affordable' vintage watch rebuilds that I'm creating on the YouTube channel. I bought this as a non-runner on eBay for $20! It's actually somewhat of a less common Gruen case, and it was listed as a 'parts watch' on eBay. I won't give away any spoilers, but I'll just say that when I removed the caseback off of this thing, I got a quite a surprise (not in a good way). You'll need to watch the video to see what it was, if I ever get through all of this footage.

Nevertheless, after a bit of parts sourcing and some patience, this thing is running better than some of my brand new watches. Seriously, it's nuts how good this watch runs now! It is a pretty cool 70's timepiece, so I put a spare Speidel 'stretchy' bracelet on it that was all the rage during this watch's time. I had it from another project watch I had previously rebuilt and put on a leather strap. I have to say it is quite comfortable because Speidel made some good stuff back then.

Here's a couple of pics. It has a faceted crystal, with the facets cut into the underside so the second pic is at a weird angle try to show that.

1681522282964.png

1681522299150.png

I would've liked to have totally redone the case, but it is plated and I didn't want to take a chance going too deep with cutting/buffing compound and removing the plating. I just did a quick polish with some green Dialux compound and it turned out pretty well. It took quite a bit of elbow grease and 5 stages of sandpaper, along with some Polywatch to bring that crystal back. It was seriously marked up in the beginning.

Seriously, look how smooth this thing is running in the dial up position:
1681522482079.png

It's been regulated to 3 positions, with a delta reading (max spread between all tested positions) of 6 s/d. Amplitude drop between horizontal and vertical positions of only about 10-15 degrees. That's seriously good! It's running an INT 7522/3 automatic movement.

I figured you all would be pleased to see me post something that's not a Seiko! Haha. Don't worry though, I have lots more still do get done.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of an AD in the OKC area that carries Oris? I can only find Moody's in Tulsa listed as an AD on Oris' site. I'm hoping to see these three watches in the metal and try them each on. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Roberto Clemente.

ECWcOBEXsAEJ9HA.jpg

oris2.jpg

Oris-Aquis-Date-39.5mm-6.jpg

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally was able to finish working on my next project watch tonight. Now the fun begins of turning all of the raw footage into something watchable.

This one is 2nd in the series of 'Affordable' vintage watch rebuilds that I'm creating on the YouTube channel. I bought this as a non-runner on eBay for $20! It's actually somewhat of a less common Gruen case, and it was listed as a 'parts watch' on eBay. I won't give away any spoilers, but I'll just say that when I removed the caseback off of this thing, I got a quite a surprise (not in a good way). You'll need to watch the video to see what it was, if I ever get through all of this footage.

Nevertheless, after a bit of parts sourcing and some patience, this thing is running better than some of my brand new watches. Seriously, it's nuts how good this watch runs now! It is a pretty cool 70's timepiece, so I put a spare Speidel 'stretchy' bracelet on it that was all the rage during this watch's time. I had it from another project watch I had previously rebuilt and put on a leather strap. I have to say it is quite comfortable because Speidel made some good stuff back then.

Here's a couple of pics. It has a faceted crystal, with the facets cut into the underside so the second pic is at a weird angle try to show that.

View attachment 368006
View attachment 368007

I would've liked to have totally redone the case, but it is plated and I didn't want to take a chance going too deep with cutting/buffing compound and removing the plating. I just did a quick polish with some green Dialux compound and it turned out pretty well. It took quite a bit of elbow grease and 5 stages of sandpaper, along with some Polywatch to bring that crystal back. It was seriously marked up in the beginning.

Seriously, look how smooth this thing is running in the dial up position:
View attachment 368008

It's been regulated to 3 positions, with a delta reading (max spread between all tested positions) of 6 s/d. Amplitude drop between horizontal and vertical positions of only about 10-15 degrees. That's seriously good! It's running an INT 7522/3 automatic movement.

I figured you all would be pleased to see me post something that's not a Seiko! Haha. Don't worry though, I have lots more still do get done.
I have a hand wind Gruen pocket watch that was a graduation gift from my mother. You don’t see a lot of the old Gruens. Thanks for posting.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at Oris as my next purchase also

As long as the 40mm Big Crown Pointer Date fits my wrist well, I'm thinking that I'll move along my Hamilton Pilot Pioneer Chronograph and 38mm Khaki Field and replace them with a BCPD.

I really love the Okavango, but that 49.1 lug to lug is just a tad too long for me.

d6d75686-b964-4b0c-a016-9599cd1f3e8b_gYbqmU5.png.800x800_q85_background.png

WhatsApp-Image-2021-08-16-at-12.46.25-AM-e1629147407283.jpeg.jpg

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are sprint cars in the background
View attachment 368022
Meeker? I miss building cars. Don’t miss rebuilding them. No one could ever detonate a sprint car like that fella me and @coolhandluke graduated high school with…hopefully none of that “Meeker Red” found its way into your watch. Nothing stains like the red dirt of the meeker speedway

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom