Why buy pmags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eventually tech will catch up and the printed polymers WILL be as strong. Imagine being able to design and print off your own accessories, stocks, mags, and even receivers.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Eventually tech will catch up and the printed polymers WILL be as strong. Imagine being able to design and print off your own accessories, stocks, mags, and even receivers.

We'd see some of the most unique and inspired custom firearms, I'm really excited for the future.

808racer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now, the challenges are achieving sufficient build accuracy (large tolerances) and achieving full material density. We have been using these machines for MANY years in the engineering/product development world for creating prototypes for checking fit/form/function prior to going to full production. There are some things you can do to the polymer parts, such as impregnating a strengthening resin. They can also be sealed with a sealer which improves strength, and allows for airflow/fluid flow testing. But the lifespan of these parts is just not quite there yet.

Wax printers are very nice for producing casting patterns for pouring aluminum and steel castings though. I've made many brackets, etc, for boat engines, combine/tractor engines that live forever in the field.

There are some 3D printer units that build metal parts using similar layer technology at very near full material density, that can be subsequently machined and used as a fully funtional production part. Accuracy is getting better, but we're not quite to the point where we can build net shape lower receivers without the need for machining. I do think it's just a matter of time before the technology can duplicate a 3D CAD model to within .0005" accuracy.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because printed polymers are not nearly as robust.

True, but the concept of freely available and attainable home manufacturing of firearm and/or accessories can do a lot to help promote our second amendment rights. I LOVE the principle of this. Thanks OP for sharing.

A public movement for open source information, like a source file to print 30 round magazines, would do MUCH more to promote the 2A movement than some of the hypocritical political action groups that claim to champion our rights/

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice concept, but what would a printed pmag cost?

From what I understand, the cost of leasing one of the printers is pretty expensive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom