Why get an AR-9?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Considering you can use 22lr for training w/ various types of AR-style rifles, why would you ever reach for an AR-9 over an AR-15 for something other than training?

If SHTF, would you be slinging your AR-9 and 9mm Glock so you have ammo and mag compatibility?

Is there a case to be made to ditch 5.56 and go 9mm and 308 only as your bugout type calibers? ORRR is 9mm pistol and 5.56 rifle the better pair and forget about anything larger?

Just curious how an AR-9 fits into your safe for anything other than cheaper plinking?

Last edited:

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Considering you can use 22lr for training w/ various types of AR-style rifles, why would you ever reach for an AR-9 over an AR-15 for something other than training?

If SHTF, would you be slinging your AR-9 and 9mm Glock so you have ammo and mag compatibility?

Is there a case to be made to ditch 5.56 and go 9mm and 308 only as your bugout type calibers? ORRR is 9mm pistol and 5.56 rifle the better pare and forget about anything larger?

Just curious how an AR-9 fits into your safe for anything other than cheaper plinking?
Waiting on replies, been on the fence about purchasing 9mm PCC myself. Other than the fun factor not sure of practical use.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Waiting on replies, been on the fence about purchasing 9mm PCC myself. Other than the fun factor not sure of practical use.
I also recently posted about PCC's too, but then decided to if I was to get one, I'd probably want it to be an AR-9 like the new S&W "Response" that was just released, vs something like the older more proprietary offerings by various companies.

I do want one because they are cool, but I look at guns as tools first vs fun and God forbid society ever broke down to where any of us would need a long gun for self-defense, I'm trying to determine the advantages either way of that rifle being 9mm vs 5.56.

It would seem like if you had a bolt action rifle in 223 or 308 you would be good if you chose to use an AR-9 paired w/ 9mm pistol as your primary protection? Yeah, I suppose you could have bad actors in armor but the chances of that are probably pretty low to not consider the advantages of one caliber to stock and carry?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I needed a rifle I'd definitely rather have a 5.56 than a 9. But many people are completely happy with a PCC in the same caliber, and using the same mags, as their handgun. And there's something to be said for that.

The most obvious advantage of the PCC over your handgun is it will give you much more accuracy over a far greater range. You'll have at least some standoff capability you won't have with your handgun...or at least better standoff capability. You'll also be gaining some slight velocity advantages with the longer barrel. Obviously it will be greater the shorter your handgun barrel is, generally speaking. It's not gonna be a huge difference, but there will be some.

Same ammo, same mags, better accuracy over distance, more power... There are plenty of reasons it's not a bad idea and if it works for you, even better.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best argument I have seen for the PCC:

1) Interchangeability of ammo and in some cases magazines
2) Greater distance achieved than a pistol
3) Better Accuracy and Faster Shots than with a pistol, especially under pressure
4) Perceived as a larger threat than a pistol (intimidating)

This was in a magazine article, the author said he qualified with a higher score using the carbine instead of a pistol. The author also claimed that most people do better in simulated defensive situations with an AR or AR carbine. Wish I could remember the article author and date...

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My AK-V is set up for home defense and SBRd, so I never have to worry about brace legality questions. I view it as another option for home defense that isn't as loud as a rifle or shotgun, that is also a blast to shoot targets with.
Home defense (especially against multiple attackers) is absolutely a top reason for a PCC/AR-9. That would be true whether SHTF or not. My only concern is that if there is a bump in the night, it is easier for me to get and maneuver indoors with a pistol w/ a weapon light on it than with a longer gun. A pistol w/ 15-20rds of ammo would probably work to repel 99% of typical home defense situations?

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Home defense (especially against multiple attackers) is absolutely a top reason for a PCC/AR-9. That would be true whether SHTF or not. My only concern is that if there is a bump in the night, it is easier for me to get and maneuver indoors with a pistol w/ a weapon light on it than with a longer gun. A pistol w/ 15-20rds of ammo would probably work to repel 99% of typical home defense situations?
Agree, which is why my pistol is #1 on the list for home defense, PCC is number 2.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The best argument I have seen for the PCC:

1) Interchangeability of ammo and in some cases magazines
2) Greater distance achieved than a pistol
3) Better Accuracy and Faster Shots than with a pistol, especially under pressure
4) Perceived as a larger threat than a pistol (intimidating)

This was in a magazine article, the author said he qualified with a higher score using the carbine instead of a pistol. The author also claimed that most people do better in simulated defensive situations with an AR or AR carbine. Wish I could remember the article author and date...
Definitely easier to shoot at longer ranges. PCC in USPSA matches was kind of fun to shoot for a while. Some of those guys are amazing fast with them. One of the members here shot a Beretta pretty well at that and steel challenge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom