Why haven't you tried some competitive shooting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I need some education here; what is the premise of a 3-gun match? I had thought it was to simulate real-world scenarios, but some of the action and targets don't seem to fit that model, as far as I could see.

Back in the '80's Multi gun was based off combat type shooting and tactics. Today it's simply action shooting. Different matches challenge the different shooting skills. Sometimes its an all out foot race. Sometimes its about who can pull the trigger fastest. Sometimes its a memorization challenge with hidden targets. Sometimes its an accuracy challenge. The gun is that its never the same.

To be succesful it requires you to master every possible challenge with all 3 guns. You need to know your rifle zero from 1 to 600 yards in evey possible position.
You need to know how to shoot flying targets, kniw your shotgun patterns with multiple chokes. Be able to shoot slugs from 1 to 100 yards. You need to know how your gun shoots buckshot too.
Pistol skills are required to be accurate and fast on targets from 1 to 100 yards.

I have shot from moving platforms and vehicles as well as shot at various types of moving targets. Just when it seems like there isn't anything I haven't tried the next match they come up with something new, exciting, challenging and fun.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to, honestly. From what I've read on here, it seems like most competitions around here, folks are super helpful in getting you going and giving advice to newbies. BUT, the last 8-10 months have been pretty strained financially(at times), and I just haven't had enough extra money to dump on the amount of ammo I'd need for something serious.

mach1soldier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully I can do it soon. I carry appendix style which is the only thing that bugs me about action shooting. It seems I pretty much have to carry in a different position for competition.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the '80's Multi gun was based off combat type shooting and tactics. Today it's simply action shooting.

Are there any 3-gun shoots that are based on real-world scenarios that an average citizen might encounter? Such as several intruders spread out through a house-type layout, and the shooter has to locate and neutralize each? Are the practical rifle shoots at Oil Capitol similar to these?

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully I can do it soon. I carry appendix style which is the only thing that bugs me about action shooting. It seems I pretty much have to carry in a different position for competition.

AFAIK you can shoot USPSA Limited from AIWB.

Are there any 3-gun shoots that are based on real-world scenarios that an average citizen might encounter? Such as several intruders spread out through a house-type layout, and the shooter has to locate and neutralize each? Are the practical rifle shoots at Oil Capitol similar to these?

There's IDPA Defensive Multigun I guess but I've never heard of it being put on in Oklahoma.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

You walk through each stage before hand, so there aren't really "surprises" in the stage.

You'd probably have to run a shoot house type situation to do what you're talking about.

Let's face it, no practice will get *all* of the aspects of a real life SHTF situation.

Shoot houses are (educated guess) expensive, and rigid - IE, you can't change the course of fire easily. The walls have to be capable of stopping boolits.

Open bays like what are used in 3 Gun, IDPA and similar, allow the stage organizers to set it up in any safe manner. "Walls" are constructed of plywood panels and/or orange construction fence. These can be moved easily, and can direct the shooter down halls or along shooting lines. "Windows" and "Doors" (Ports) in the walls allow shooters to engage targets on the other side of walls. Most action shooting rules I've looked at require the use of cover if it is available. You may (or may have to) change mags on the clock.

Have you been to a 3 Gun match? Or IDPA? IPSC? Best way to answer if they are what you want is to go. The OKCGC match I went to last month was $20, + ammo.

If you want to consider it training, it won't replace individual range time, or self defense training, but it sure DOES give a different aspect of gun usage than relaxed time at the range by yourself.

Nothing states that you have to use "game guns" either. You can run what you would use in your house if you want to. In the different action matches I've been to I've shot a Sig 228, Glock 19, and iron sighted AR.

ETA: the poster above me ran a double barrel shotgun on a stage at least once; I saw the video of it somewhere.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The practical rifle matches at Oil Capital are scenario based and require use of cover if available, tactical priority/sequence of targets, etc. much like IDPA. Most stages are in the 25 yard bays, though they occasionally have a stage set up on the 75 yard bay. One or two stages will involve transition from or to pistol. For example, engage close targets with your pistol, then retreat to your rifle and engage additional targets at a longer distance, or start with a limited number of rifle rounds to simulate running out of ammo or a malfunction, and transition to pistol to finish the stage.

Most, if not all, of the stages in a typical match could be shot with only a pistol (if you can consistently make 25 yard head shots from cover with your pistol, without shooting the hostages.)

The IDPA matches at USSA will sometimes use the shoot house for low light, indoor scenarios.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've seen a couple of pistol matches at Oil Capitol with stages such as seated at a desk with the pistol in a box on the desk, or moving around cover (barrels) to engage targets on the other side, etc. I've also seen videos of 3-gun competitions, but I'll admit that's about it. I understand that walk-throughs are necessary in most of these competitions, but do any of the matches work such that the targets are not visible until you get to a certain position, at which time you're directed, either via voice or better yet, visual cue, to engage this target but not that one (such as "Blue target!" but not the red target; or "Target that's moving")? That would allow for an element of surprise and on-the-spot decision making. It sounds like some of the OC matches are set up along these lines - are there any such matches here in OK that include the use of pistols, rifles, and shotguns such as you might have stashed in your house?

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

There is a carry gun pistol match at Heartland Outdoors in Edmond. I've seen all kinds of concealed carry type holsters there. The only way you can never carry in a completions is cross draw or a chest rig. Simply because for safety reasons the muzzle of your loaded gun must never point anywhere close to yourself or anyone behind you. You can run your carry holster at the 3 gun matches. Most guys that I've seen do this eventually change to an OWB holster simply because they get caught up in the fun of going faster and improving their time to complete the course of fire.

I was wondering what three gun was all about.

It's really all about a bunch of good guys that enjoy shooting doing some shooting that you can't do on a line with other shooters next to you. I've made some really good friends and have met some of the best shooters in the country playing the action shooting sports. It's always fun no matter how bad I shoot on a given day.

If you're looking for a way to replicate the average civilian gun fight you're not gonna find it and if you did it wouldn't be much fun. It would look like two guys running away from each other 5-10 yards apart. 10 shots or less and it would be done. If you want to learn defensive firearms techniques you should take the classes at TDSA.

If you want to find a way to push your abilities with a firearm under the self induced stress of having an audience and a timer pushing you while learning to use your firearm more proficiently then 3 gun or any of the other action shooting sports is where it's at. There are several LEO/MIL types and several of the instructors from our states defensive training organizations that shoot these completions. So who knows you might pick up some free advice. I know I have gotten a lot of help at matches from guys that know more than I do and I returned that favor to other new shooters.

You walk through each stage before hand, so there aren't really "surprises" in the stage.

You'd probably have to run a shoot house type situation to do what you're talking about.

Let's face it, no practice will get *all* of the aspects of a real life SHTF situation.

Shoot houses are (educated guess) expensive, and rigid - IE, you can't change the course of fire easily. The walls have to be capable of stopping boolits.

Open bays like what are used in 3 Gun, IDPA and similar, allow the stage organizers to set it up in any safe manner. "Walls" are constructed of plywood panels and/or orange construction fence. These can be moved easily, and can direct the shooter down halls or along shooting lines. "Windows" and "Doors" (Ports) in the walls allow shooters to engage targets on the other side of walls. Most action shooting rules I've looked at require the use of cover if it is available. You may (or may have to) change mags on the clock.

Have you been to a 3 Gun match? Or IDPA? IPSC? Best way to answer if they are what you want is to go. The OKCGC match I went to last month was $20, + ammo.

If you want to consider it training, it won't replace individual range time, or self defense training, but it sure DOES give a different aspect of gun usage than relaxed time at the range by yourself.

Nothing states that you have to use "game guns" either. You can run what you would use in your house if you want to. In the different action matches I've been to I've shot a Sig 228, Glock 19, and iron sighted AR.

ETA: the poster above me ran a double barrel shotgun on a stage at least once; I saw the video of it somewhere.

Well said!

Latest posts

Top Bottom