Widow sues suspect's psychiatrist

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[The lawsuit claims Holmes told Fenton, director of student mental health services at the university's Anschutz Medical Campus, "he fantasized about killing a lot of people." The suit alleges Fenton took no further action after notifying the university's Behavioral Evaluation and Threat Assessment team -- and "rejected the idea" of placing Holmes on a psychiatric hold...

"Fenton was presented with the opportunity to use .... reasonable care when the Colorado University police offered to apprehend James Holmes on a psychiatric hold," the suit alleges.

The Post said no court testimony or court documents to date provide an indication why Fenton spoke to police about Holmes. However, the newspaper reported in December Fenton had gone to police after Holmes talked about fantasies in which he killed people...]

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/01/15/Widow-sues-suspects-psychiatrist/UPI-44941358291597/

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know whether people are too sue happy, greedy, or in reality, just looking for an easy buck without working for it.

So do you think the psychiatrist did the right thing or regardless of the right/wrong decision she shouldnt be liable in this civil suit? Not saying that I agree or disagree with you, more curious as to your reasoning.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could The University Of Colorado Face Civil Liability Over the Aurora Movie Theater Shooting?

[The question on everyone’s mind is, did the doctor or someone else at the school have a responsibility to alert the police about the potential danger posed by Holmes? For crying out loud. I feel like I’ve seen this before, quite recently. Yeah, I definitely, definitely have. Legal experts are already chiming in about how actions taken against the university could turn out...

“The university has a legal duty to protect its students, not the world at large,” says Barry Pollack, a defense lawyer and partner in the Washington law firm of Miller & Chevalier. “If they get information about someone who is not a student, it is not in their purview to do anything about it.”

But it also depends on when Holmes was making the alleged threats and what the exact conversations were. These facts have been kept tightly under wraps so far:

“If a student says they are going to kill someone on Monday but drops out of school on Tuesday, there is a duty to take reasonable steps,” says Kenneth Simons, a professor of law at Boston University School of Law.

Colorado law requires doctors to notify police if there is a specific threat to a specific individual or group. And that only makes me more curious about what he and Dr. Lynne Fenton discussed. What type of discussions led her to contact the university and not police? (The university didn’t contact law enforcement either.)

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/08/coul...he-aurora-movie-theater-shooting/#more-180175

Latest posts

Top Bottom