Wilson Combat Owners?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any wilson combat handgun owners on here? If so what did you purchase and how do you like your purchase? Do you feel you get what you paid for? What was your wait time? I am interested in a few of their handguns and want to know what others think of theirs before i take the dive.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are pretty good. I have a cqb and it's been nice. If I had to do it over again I would probably go Ed Brown though as he seems to pay a little more attention to detail.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned/still own.

2 CQBs in .45
Supergrade
Tactical Elite built on a Springfield frame by Wilson
CQB in .40
KZ-9
KZ-45

They are great guns built by probably the best overall 1911 company in terms of support and parts.

Now, that being said, I dunno if I'd pay the prices they charge nowdays for these brand new. I'd go Les Baer or Dan Wesson and have it tweaked if I needed something different OR buy a used Wilson as the warranty is for the life of the gun, no matter who owns it.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i had a CQB back in the early nineties that wouldn't run at all until Dr.Barry worked it over.for what they want for a new one I would try and find a nice used Yost or other custom gun

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has a Professional and I have a Tactical Supergrade in SS. They are expensive and the wait times, especially on the Supergrades is getting very long. The customer service is really top notch. My wife is small and weak, due to some medical issues, and we were having problems with it locking back after the last round. It would shoot fine for me, but not her. The slide stop notch had gotten pinged and one time when a Wilson rep was in town I showed it to him and ask if I should get it fixed. He took it back with him, they fixed the slide, refinished it, and did something to make it lock back better. They even offered to have her come to the factory and work with one of the gunsmiths to try and fix the problem. You might want to look at the Wilson sub-forum here http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php. There is a Wilson Rep that post frequently and answers all sorts of questions.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently have 2 CQBs. I'm going to get a tactical supergrade next. I love both my CQBs. I think the fit, finish, and quality/workmanship are the best out there IMO.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned Wilson Combat Classic models; I'm quite pleased. Each and every part is extremely well made. They ran 100% all the time. I felt like I got the quality for which I paid.

Wilson Combat's customer service is exemplary. From Day 1, Wilson has considered any warranty work as the highest priority. If it's something simple, the gun will leave the same day it came in. Something more complex, involving several skills, may take a couple more days.

I managed to break the "ears" off a couple early era Mag Chutes. Without question or cost to me, WC fixed them and refinished the gun parts (frame, etc) that needed re-finish. Gun looked like a new one. It is pretty difficult to blend a mag chute opening to an existing frame; they did it perfectly.

WC guns will appreciate in value over time, even if you shoot them. Virtually all other custom guns depreciate with the passage of years,whether shot or not.

Some of the other brands listed in this thread have much less than stellar customer service. Others have spotty product reliability going back to loose QC.

cigman1st

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a CQB I bought used/like new, from a friend. I have owned several 1911s over the years and my CQB is absolutely wonderful. While I have felt most 1911s tend to be temperamental and I have had to question, "will it always go bang," I have never felt that way about my Wilson.

The comments so far have mentioned Wilson's customer service as being top-notch. Before I bought mine, I called Wilson to confirm the warranty followed the gun and not the original owner only. They were great to talk to.

The only problem I have with mine is the front sight is loose in the dovetail. Wilson said no problem and they would take care of it. I will send it back someday but for now it isn't a priority.

Good luck with your decision.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a former owner, I can highly recommend them. Unless you are dead set on having it exactly a certain way, I would suggest buying used. Great savings compared to new prices, and any break-in issues have generally been worked out. Used CQBs can usually be found for around $1800-2000 on various forums. Wilson's current new prices are a bit high in my opinion. If you have it to spend though, Wilson makes some great custom pieces. I'd love to wrap my hands around a Wilson Legacy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom