Wow!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Defense budget is by far the largest part of the Federal budget. I'm against welfare as much as anyone,.. but it doesn't hold a candle to Big D.

Did you even read the links? Defense spending is about $900 billion a year. Welfare is now over $1 trillion.

And defense spending would be an even smaller part if the folks in congress (both sides) would stop stuffing things that did not belong in there.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wrong. Unless you mean "Social Security" instead of "Big D".

The traditional entitlements account for over 50% of the federal budget. Here's looking at you, social security, medicare/medicaid, and welfare.

Look at your next pay stub. See where it says FICA? That's the 7.5% of my income I payed into Social Security and Medicare over the 45 years of my work life. 45 years. Every single paycheck. Get it? The people I worked for over those years matched that deduction 1 for 1. And I don't get full payback if my investments and/or pension are ridiculously low. Why do people continue to call those programs entitlements and welfare? Ignorance I guess.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some interesting info.

If they repealed the entire Bush tax cuts and not just those for the rich it would raise about $66 billion a year, the deficit for Oct alone was $120 billion.

This is an astonishing fact: the amount spent on federal welfare programs last year was enough to mail a $60,000 check to every one of the 17 million households living beneath the poverty line. And that doesn’t include spending by state and local governments, which traditionally have had primary responsibility for welfare, or spending by private charities. Welfare is now the largest item in the federal budget.

We've been over this - that "welfare" number includes a lot of stuff that isn't traditionally considered "welfare" (i.e. some of that includes unemployment, etc.).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The issue of rich/poor taxes is a complete distraction (just like everything else with our two-sided dance to keep everyone confused).

The rich aren't the problem - it's multi-billion dollar public held corporations, many of whom now use a lot of the same channels as drug-smugglers and terrorists to keep money out of US taxable territory. Not small private-owned businesses, I'm talking the big public-entities - they're the one's skirting taxes (and getting bail-outs).

That's where the federal income has been suffering for years (since Clinton and before), and when we allowed all of these tax-breaks (some are just creative loopholes found by corporations with huge teams of legal/accounting folks), we didn't cut spending - we increased it.

We could cut stuff from the budget all day and hike taxes on the rich and poor, but until we get back a good solid revenue from something more solid than just the citizens, we'll never solve this crisis.

If any of those nubs at the occupy Wall Street movements could articulate that fact alone, the world would actually have looked at them as something other than idiots.

Jim Corrigan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If any of those nubs at the occupy Wall Street movements could articulate that fact alone, the world would actually have looked at them as something other than idiots.

Many of them can and did. Of course, we never heard it, unless you watched youtube or reddit. The media only played the morons, the Daily Show made fun of them, the news made fun of them. Everyone laughed. The articulate people were covered up in the crowd, just like everything else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom