Wyoming Super Tag Trifecta Winner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF I won I would lean towards predatory hunting, wolf and mountain lion, and then a buffalo/bison to fill the freezer. If I paid, it would probably be different(except I would still go for the buffalo/bison).

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mountain goat, bighorn, and bison.

That right there is $6900 worth of non-resident tags is WY that YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY PURCHASE after you "win" You literally have to buy these tags once you "win". The drawing is a joke IMO, this is no lottery, you win very little other than the right to purcahse a tag. I understand its very hard to get those tags, but still after shelling out $30 a shot for the lottery draw you gotta pay for the tags?!?! Really??

I'm gonna guess the average hunter doesn't have $6900 to fork over just for tag money. Much less the money it will take to get up there and hunt. PLUS all wilderness hunts on public land in WY require a guide and guess where most the big, quality, desired species are in WY??? :)

Slicktricktj

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That right there is $6900 worth of non-resident tags is WY that YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY PURCHASE after you "win" You literally have to buy these tags once you "win". The drawing is a joke IMO, this is no lottery, you win very little other than the right to purcahse a tag. I understand its very hard to get those tags, but still after shelling out $30 a shot for the lottery draw you gotta pay for the tags?!?! Really??

I'm gonna guess the average hunter doesn't have $6900 to fork over just for tag money. Much less the money it will take to get up there and hunt. PLUS all wilderness hunts on public land in WY require a guide and guess where most the big, quality, desired species are in WY??? :)

Yes, you still have to buy the tags, but these are some tags that you could go your whole life and never draw. Pick the most prized/rare tags, go to the bank and go hunt. LOL

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you still have to buy the tags, but these are some tags that you could go your whole life and never draw. Pick the most prized/rare tags, go to the bank and go hunt. LOL

Yes I agree they are hard or next to impossible to draw. But I don't have that type of cash laying around to spend on 3 tags all in one year, and I will not get a loan to pay for hunts, thats not how I roll fiscally. Thus for me, this lottery is worthless as if I get drawn I can't afford to pay for the tags I would want. I highly suspect this was the case for MANY hunters as the WGFD had to extend the application deadline by 2 months! Most likely due to lack of applications! The original deadline was May 1st and they extended to July 1st!

For those hunters who can afford it great! Go for it! More than anything I just wanted to point out that you had to actually pay for those tags, not many people realize this I suspect. I know my buddy did not before he put in for it, and after finding out what the deal was his thoughts were the exact same as mine!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ElkStalkR
I wouldn't mind Oklahoma Wildlife Department charging more to apply for our controlled hunts. A little more skin in the game might help some take it more serious, instead of entering it and then skipping hunt because the day of the week it is or something came up.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't imagine picking any of the "normal" animals in that situation. I'd be hunting sheep, goat, and moose without a second thought.

These right here. Hardest tags to draw for a non resident in most any state especially Wyoming. Congrats to the winner !

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Hell I've spent almost that in application fees on mountain goat , bighorn, moose and trophy speed goat apps in the years I've been applying with no luck. I would find a way to make it happen if I'd have won. (And yes I applied). :( I can eat lots of ranch style beans and top ramen for a while to afford a lifelong goal. I don't think it's a joke I think it's an amazing opportunity for someone but if I had the money I'd buy some the coveted "governors" tags as well.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell I've spent almost that in application fees on mountain goat , bighorn, moose and trophy speed goat apps in the years I've been applying with no luck. I would find a way to make it happen if I'd have won. (And yes I applied). :( I can eat lots of ranch style beans and top ramen for a while to afford a lifelong goal. I don't think it's a joke I think it's an amazing opportunity for someone but if I had the money I'd buy some the coveted "governors" tags as well.

Exactly. Bear and mountain lion tags are OTC in Wyoming, so you're basically throwing away your super tag opportunity on those. Montana and Idaho are both better states for wolf hunting, and are available OTC there. Elk and deer hunting there is good, but not great, and can certainly be done off the wilderness area. Some of the better units for deer have no wilderness in them at all. The hardest tag in North America to draw is a sheep tag, so I'd have to get that one.

And another thing: You could probably do a bear hunt on your own, but you almost have to have a guide with hounds for mountain lion. I only know of a handful people who have killed them without a guide or dogs. Or you can just take someone from here with you, people from Oklahoma accidentally find more lions than most houndsmen. Or you can take that one chick with you, and she'll find you a jaguar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom