You need to be crappie fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went out this afternoon, after hearing some reports, and sure enough, the crappie spawn is on.
I caught 16 in less than one foot of water around rocks. Mostly males that are coming in to build the nest for the females.
I released the females to go ahead and spawn and kept 6 of the biggest males. 2.4 lbs being the biggest.
I was on Kaw, one of the northern lakes in Ok, so you folks that are further south should be into the prime of the spawn.
Get out there and catch some crappie.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I've been to a couple of my ponds and have hooked 50-60 on a couple trips. Kept a few males for the frying pan. It's on!

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can all benefit from this...a load of crappie wisdom...

crappie_wisdom.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually the fish fry is next Saturday.
Another forum I'm on is having the spring crappie camp at Kaw Lake.
Some of the best crappie fishers in the state and Ks. including guides and tourney champs will be fishing, camping, cooking, and BSing for the weekend.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
this front must have turned them off a little. we caught about 30 thursday afternoon and i just tried it for about 50 casts...nuttin

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this front must have turned them off a little. we caught about 30 thursday afternoon and i just tried it for about 50 casts...nuttin
I thought the same the other day, but I noticed the bobber with the jig under it just acting a little funny in the ripple. It moved against the wind very slowly. I thought it was the minnow on the jig, but figured out it was the males moving it away from the nest. Very subtle movement, but enough to set the hook. Most of the time I'd feel the tug, and come back with an empty jig. The crappie just had it in their mouth, not to eat it, but to move it.
This rain coming might screw everything up. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom