Ciener's 22lr conversion for AR costs half of S&W .22 AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the conversion takes just 10 seconds, and it weighs just 3/4 lb. So you can always carry it with you, but you can't carry both an AR and an M&P.(along with the pack of stuff you'll also need, water, etc) Any mods, like a suppressor, luminous sights, scope, folding stock, trigger job, etc, that you add to the AR is automoatically also added to the .22 unit. That fact saves you at least $1000, as vs kitting out a pair of rifles properly. There is no reason to have just a centerfire or just a rimfire, when you can easily have both. Sure, you could have a suppressed .22lr handgun, but training with a handgun wont make you faster at hitting with the rifle. Training with the .22 unit will do so, however.

much is sometimes made of the "risk" of 22lr wax in the gas system. I've never had a problem, but then I also average a few rds of 223 thru the gun for every 200 or so rds of 22lr, too. I suggest that you do likewise, and the 223's will burn/scrub the 22lr crude out of your rifle and suppressor.

Last edited:

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
no, the complete upper is a waste of money. you cant carry the AR, the needed ammo and backpack of supplies, and an entire upper for the .22. Get just the 22 conversion instead. all it is, is a different mag and bolt carrier group, basically. A complete upper would require its own scope, luminous sights, sound suppressor, etc. Why bother with all that?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most Ciener conversions are crap, I got one for my mini14 bang-jam,bang-jam
Targetmaster and Cmmg are much better. never had a jam out of my Targetmaster and it was cheaper than a Ciener.

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The source of all of them is the same. MAYBE you get some "picked over" (test-fired) versions by paying the extra money. I've owned half a dozen cieners, and had to fluff and buff as many more. About half seem to work just fine out of the box, in any upper. About half of the remainder work in some uppers, but not all. Some require serious smithing. I had one with an undersized breechface, which would slamfire with each time the bolt moved. Another had to have lightening holes cut in the bolt, but I made ALL of them work, usually with just half an hour's work, but a couple took me half a day. They are such a wondrous advantage that they are well worth a bit of trouble to fix.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
no, the complete upper is a waste of money. you cant carry the AR, the needed ammo and backpack of supplies, and an entire upper for the .22. Get just the 22 conversion instead. all it is, is a different mag and bolt carrier group, basically. A complete upper would require its own scope, luminous sights, sound suppressor, etc. Why bother with all that?

That is very true. I have heard good things about the CMMG conversion. Thank you for the heads up! I have a long way to go on my AR build still - probably won't be done for another few months. My friend's dad is a gunsmith (hobby gunsmith) that has built several of his own customer AR's, but he has all of the tools and equipment. He said he would help me do my first build, and show me how to do the machine work, which I am excited about.

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ciener units are all I've ever used, and they group 2" or better in 1 in 9" or 1 in 12" rifling twists, at 50 yds. I can't speak for what they do in 1 in 7 twists. Best ask that question at arf.com or M4forums or CSP forums.

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
poor baby. $50 smithing to get something that saves you 20c per shot and offers a lot of tactical advantages. you get your money back in one weekend at the range (ie, 1000 rds)

Latest posts

Top Bottom