I hate chasing chickens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're in MT visiting daughter/son-in-law and grandkids. They have chickens. 2 got out this afternoon when our grandson was getting them some water. Chased them around a couple of acres for at least 35 minutes. And with a hip replacement, I am not as fast as I used to be... Had to get them back in the pen though. Great Horned owl family moved into the crows nests in a big tree in their backyard (owls don't build their own nests, they just move into another birds nest). I understand that some people do that too. Anyway, from that vantage point, with the chicken pen about 80' away from the tree, any chickens left out tend to have their heads disappear quickly by the mama owl, and there have been numerous casualties. I am now looking for a casting net to ensnarl the AWOL chickens. That ought to take care of the little darlings...

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quit chasing them they will come back to the others if they are use to being in a coop and even better if they are feed a certain time of the day throw some feed out for the other and they will come.

Best answer. Just keep the owls at bay till dusk. They'll go back to the roost with the rest of them just before dark. My chickens always put themselves to bed. I just had to shut the door.

Latest posts

Top Bottom