Solar Battery Chargers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the post about my 18 yr old batteries in one of my Diesel Trucks that was kept on a small “Battery Tender” trickle charger. There were some comments about the Harbor Freight Solar Battery Chargers, did some research as I want a couple Solar Chargers and found that the Harbor Freight ones DO NOT come with a Charge Controller in them, those are sold separately. So beware that those chargers will burn up batteries. They will not stop the charge current at all.

I run a few Solar Gate Openers and had to replace a Panel today on one of them. Went to Harbor Freight and found a Charge Controller for a 7watt Solar Panel,I already have. While there I thought I would check out those small Battery Solar Chargers, and in doing so found that in the instructions it notes to not use them without a controller sold separately.

I’d hate to see batteries ruined.

I think I am going with a couple of these below. Comes with a controler.

IMG_9733.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool! I been learning as well. I want the top of my 5th Wheel to be able to run one of the A/Cs if need be.

I met a guy that has covered his roof and done the same. He only had one A/C, ours has two, but they are split and again want one to run when we stop and do stuff, keep my dog cool when he cannot go with us. As well as boon dock camping.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! Have you knowledge of good brand panels and batteries? I just started learning.
I don't. Just bought 1 panel from harbor fright and used it for a while to see what I thought, then found 4 pack on clearance there so bought them.
There is a guy east of tulsa that I want to talk to that is supposedly very knowledgable about solar and routinely has panels from solar farms for sale. I have been meaning to talk to him and see what I can learn.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't. Just bought 1 panel from harbor fright and used it for a while to see what I thought, then found 4 pack on clearance there so bought them.
There is a guy east of tulsa that I want to talk to that is supposedly very knowledgable about solar and routinely has panels from solar farms for sale. I have been meaning to talk to him and see what I can learn.

I am getting really interested in it!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using the Harbor Freight charger for a couple of years now without over charging any small batteries in the mower, tractor, boat, and ATV.
It's a float charger, so it won't overcharge.
https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Ba...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070153025019&psc=1

We use solar chargers on all of our outside security cell phone cams, and trail cams in the deer woods.
Used to drive 90 miles round trip every couple of weeks to change batteries, but no more!
One thing I've found out is to use lithium batteries for rechargeables. Not Ni-cad. The Ni-cad only charge to 1.3 volts vs the 1.5 volts for the lithium.

Latest posts

Top Bottom