Walmart - we are doomed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you forget that WalMart bankrupted most small town business districts? Now those are just bespoke shops here and there for the more well off clientele.
Walmart didn’t bankrupt those stores, their inability to compete or adapt did that. If it hadn’t been the Walmarts, it would’ve been someone else; it’s just how capitalism works. Build a better mousetrap, and all that.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walmart didn’t bankrupt those stores, their inability to compete or adapt did that. If it hadn’t been the Walmarts, it would’ve been someone else; it’s just how capitalism works. Build a better mousetrap, and all that.
You're not wrong, but WalMart was absolutely the death of a lot of mom & pop shops in small town America. My step mom and a friend were one of the victims. They opened a shop in downtown Madill and sold "craft type" clothing for women and girls that they themselves made.

WalMart came along and built a store there and you couldn't get a living soul to walk through the door. They went to the new WalMart and bought the chinese and mass produced cheap stuff. WalMart decimated the whole town and basically everyone had to go work there to survive. I don't even know if the building owner found a new tenant or how long it took them to do so. It was years though.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a Walmart fan. Watch this..

Attachments

• IMG_3337.png
    IMG_3337.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tell you what I see more and more is all the jobs kids use to get are filled with older folks.

Talked to a couple and they said they were just bored and came back to work for something to do and a little spending money. I’m thinking that’s all they can get to work.
A few years ago, I was a Pallbearer for a friend's dad's funeral.
One of the other pall bearers was a retirement advisor for the Conoco refinery at Ponca City.
I hadn't retired yet and asked his advice.
He didn't really advance anything already known but did mention that he personally knew of several that retired with over three million dollars in their retirement fund.
Went to another state, bought a vacation home, couldn't afford the maintenance, and taxes, had to bail out at a loss and were now greeters at walmart to make some money to stay alive.

Some people have no clue how to manage their money before or after retirement.
The same as most don't know how to represent themselves in a court of lw.
There are professionals out there that can handle that issue.
I'd advise anyone looking for representation to retire or get legal representation to do some serious research.
Extremely serious research.
I interviewed a dozen retirement folks.
One of the questions was to put it on paper If I had $100.000 for retirement as an example in round numbers, how much money would you make every year from that money if I made nothing from the stock market. 0% return.
The answers were off the chart except for one.
Suggest anyone coming up on retirement to do the same.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mom and pop can't compete in the big box store buying power. It wasn't their inability, or they would have done that. It was their inability to be able to compete with corporations that can buy a million products at a time and bargain for the lowest price and fawk the mom and pop that have done business in the small town for generations.
Ol' Sam was buy America. Ol's sams descendants are buy china and fawk America.
So yes, the people that drove that situation are the same people shatting in the parking lots and wiping their arse on camera.
Fawk walmart and the others like them.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Wal Mart in Glenpool yesterday for oil, filters etc for my truck.

Whatever it was took my money in the automotive dept had pink hair and lgbtqxyz pins all over its clothing. Looked to be male.

The rest of the folks I saw looked pretty normal for Wal Mart. Fat, dirty- a little dim perhaps.

I don’t trade with WM often, but I always feel better about myself when I do.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
wm business model as I have understood it:

Go to town, demand road and intersection improvements to handle traffic, they have no input to costs.

Go to town and county. Demand tax abatements for ten years or as low as five years. Pay zero property taxes during this time. Collect taxes at the register, do not pay city and county portions as those go to the corporate bottom line under abatements.

Lower your cost of products in local store (see tax abatement) and hold down until other Ma and Pa stores can no longer make sales and stay in business. When competitors are disappearing or gone raise prices.

Look at what your county commissioners allow as well as city councils.

Dollar General sees themselves as replacement for wm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom