Advice on a Gun to Buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juddweiser

Marksman
Reaction score
Got about $500 burning a hole in pocket and am thinking about a new or good used rifle, narrowed it down to the following:

Savage 10 ML (own a knight 50 cal)
Winchester 9422M
257 Wby
264 Win
30-06

Anybody got any suggestions?

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go for a Savage in 30-06. I can't remember the model number off hand but i'll see if i can find it for you. Good rifles and priced fairly. 30-06 is just an all around good round too. IMO

Pb Slinger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have absolutely ruled out a .308, then I would go with the 30-06. But if .308 is still on the table, you'll get similar ballistics compared to 30-06, but less recoil and you can opt for a little shorter and lighter rifle. Also, have you considered 7mm mauser?

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sum good choices there, but my question would be what are you intending to do with gun. What I mean is it strictly a hunting rig, paper punching, long range shooting? 308 is a good caliber, 30-06 is excellent deer cartridge. I've never shot the 264 or 257 and don't know any of the ballistics, so I can't give ya much there.
The one thing I can say is that unless you reload or have done some research on ammo prices, the last two are off calibers that you can't just go into walmart and buy ammo for. Of all the 30-06 would be cheapest to shoot, unless you go with 308 then it may be cheapest.

bjl333

Marksman
Reaction score
Winchester 9422, unless you have to hunt with the other bigger rounds. I would recommand a non-mag version. The 22lr are so much cheaper to shoot, again unless you wanna hunt something a 22lr can't handle.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about a single shot rifle? I was thinking about it and realized that a bolt action with multiple rounds isn't always needed. Maybe a sharps or similar type rifle like a Uberti falling block.

Latest posts

Top Bottom