Advice on a Gun to Buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22-250 and 300WSM cover everything from squirrel to moose with a sweet overlap on white tail - great choices!

Accuracy of Garand can be from phenomenal to miserable - there were 6 million of them made with different fit, finish and wear over last 50+ years. Shooting one is a lot more than just punching holes in paper - how it became to be, where has it been and what it seen - that's what makes history; holding it makes you part of the history.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Compared to today's modern bolt-actions, how do the M1's compare in accuracy?

Not even in the same class. M1 Garands were not meant to be the rifle of choice of snipers. I believe 4 MOA was the US Army standard. Some M1's turned out to be quite more accurate than this, but probably most were closer to the standard. M1's with LMR or VAR barrels reputedly are slightly more accurate than the norm.

But as MoBoost said, the allure of the M1 Garand is not in its accuracy, but in its history and status as the battle rifle that saw GI's through WW2 and Korea, and even the early days of Vietnam.

If you want a US mil surp with better accuracy, look into a Springfield Model 1903 or 03A3 bolt action. Nice examples can be had for about the same money as a M1 Garand, and these rifles saw plenty of action during one or both World Wars, and they even were used in Korea and Vietnam, especially the 03A4 sniper variants.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not even in the same class. M1 Garands were not meant to be the rifle of choice of snipers. I believe 4 MOA was the US Army standard. Some M1's turned out to be quite more accurate than this, but probably most were closer to the standard. M1's with LMR or VAR barrels reputedly are slightly more accurate than the norm.

But as MoBoost said, the allure of the M1 Garand is not in its accuracy, but in its history and status as the battle rifle that saw GI's through WW2 and Korea, and even the early days of Vietnam.

If you want a US mil surp with better accuracy, look into a Springfield Model 1903 or 03A3 bolt action. Nice examples can be had for about the same money as a M1 Garand, and these rifles saw plenty of action during one or both World Wars, and they even were used in Korea and Vietnam, especially the 03A4 sniper variants.

This!!! If you decide to go with an 03A3, try and get the Smith-Corona made 03A3 with original 4-groove barrel. Or you can go to Aim-Surplus and get one of the Gibb's reproduction 03A4's.

Reaction score
Really couldn't begin to help until I know what you already have, what all you want to hunt in the future, etc.

But I had a Savage 10ML, and will be getting another one - that's always a good bet if you're a hunter, if you don't mind using every advantage allowed by law in ML season, and if you plan to stay in OK. Built like a tank, better ballistics, great accuracy (once you get your right load), and a LOT less cleaning up!

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
257 Wby
264 Win
This is called champagne taste on a beer budget. Not gonna happen for $500, and even if you do the ammo will break you if you want to shoot it more than once a year.

Savage 10 ML
These are hard to find used. Been looking for one myself.

30-06
Winchester 9422M
The .22mag is pretty common and wouldn't cost a fortune to shoot. 30-06 and 308 are pretty common, but if you have a 300WSM why get another 30 caliber? I'd look at a Savage or Remington 700 in .243, 25-06, 270 or 7mag. Both are easy to "accurize" if you decide to go that way.
I'm not into Milsurp, so your choice there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom