Shotguns for Predator Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems shotguns are a good choice for coyote/bobcat hunting (especially bobcat to minimize damage to the fur). I have a couple of 1970s 12 ga shotguns, a Remington 1100 and a Winchester 1200.

Problem is, they're both chambered for 2 3/4" shells. Gene Sears Supply told me today that no one makes 2 3/4" lead 'BB' shot shells anymore. So, question is what to do now. I picked up two boxes of 2 3/4" 'BB' steel shot for $9 each (pretty good I thought). Should I shoot these through my shotguns? Is there a reasonable way to convert these guns to 3" shells?

Thanks for any reasonable (I had to throw that in, I've been around this sight a little while :lmfao:) advice!

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't recall who makes it I think heavy shot but they have a round for yotes, I'm not big on the scatterguns so I could be blowing a lot of hot air! something makes me think it's called dead coyote. Later,

Kirk

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A guy I ran in to at Gene Sears' that also recommended Heavy Metal. The predator load can be found here.

http://www.hevishot.com/index.php?p...ategory_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=73

I don't think the 2 3/4" shell would be legal in OK as it is 00BK. ODW regs say shot cannot be larger than BB. It is steel shot and I don't know if that is good for my guns. It's reasonably priced at ~$1 per round.

The Remington HD ammo is around $2.50/round. That seems a little expensive for my hunting.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think the 2 3/4" shell would be legal in OK as it is 00BK. ODW regs say shot cannot be larger than BB.

I guess that's right. Seems pretty stupid though. Year round season with no limits, but cant use anything larger than BB from a shotgun. Might talk to the game warden on that one. I bet there's a reason for that rule and I bet it has nothing to do with shooting coyotes.

handlebar

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The law does not want to determine if your hunting yotes or deer. I guess they figured it would be hard to kill deer with Shot smaller than BB. I don't know I could be way off.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For selling the hide a bunch of small holes is worse than 1 big one.
just shoot them in the head.
Actually that's not true. I hunt almost exclusively with a shotgun and 90 percent of the time I can't even tell where they have been shot.I have sold lots of fur over the years and have never been docked for a shotgun pellet hole. I've seen some real nice bobcats ruined because of a rifle though.