Tying flies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone else here tie there own flies for fly-fishing? I've been doing a lot of it lately. I started about ten years ago and just picked it back up again over the past year or so. Definitely a re-learning curve! Here's some pics.
PTsofthackle.jpg
This is a Pheasant Tail Soft-Hackle Nymph. It's a style rather than a specific pattern. You can change the hackle color, or add a different color hot-spot at the head. I didn't get the whip-finish quite right, but I'll add another spot of head cement and it should do fine.
bumblebee.jpg
One time at the family fishing cabin I found an old fly wallet with a bumble bee fly in it. It had to be at least 30 years old. So I took it out fishing and caught a brookie on the first cast. The fly immediately began to unravel and fell apart. So I tried to tie one up based on that pattern.
riograndekingtrude.jpg
Rio Grande King Trude. I like this fly a lot. I catch a ton of brown and brook trout on it every year in southern Colorado. I see it tied with black chenille, but I use super-fine black synthetic dubbing.

If you tie your own flies, let's see 'em. Plus, I love to learn from more experienced tiers because I still consider myself a beginner.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some classics....
royalcoachman.jpg
The Royal Coachman. Or Royal Wulff. Practically the same thing. One of the best brook trout patterns ever.
pheasanttail.jpg
A fly box wouldn't be complete without a Pheasant Tail Nymph.

As you can see I really wanted to test out the camera tonight...:teehee:

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Problem is, nobody in Podunk OK in my neck of the woods can mentor me.

I tie, no mentor Dennis. Youtube and the internet is my mentor. I havent tied many dry flies because I just dont use them much. I mainly fish underwater not on top much. March Brown mayflies show up around this time of year and I have some of those I bought. Hackle is too expensive so I buy most of my dries. I have some hackle but im cheap, mainly tie midges, nymphs and micro jigs. Ive been using cracklebacks here lately with success. I did tie those. Nothing cheap about fly tying, you do it because you love to tie and can be more specific trying to match the aquatic bugs on your local waters.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made my own vises when I was 12 and started tying then.
I was usually grounded for fighting or something else stupid. a couple washers welded to a stem that can be attached with a bolt.

Anyway I used to walk the barbed wire fence lines and remove all the rabbit and other animal fluff that was stuck to the barbs on the wire.

I would roll it in my fingers and make a yarn and use thread I got at TG&Y to wrap the bodies.

I also cut some back hair off my buddies blue healer to make some nice ones.
Squirrel hair and deer hair was a must have.. Moore Tackle sold feathers and spinner blades and beads.
I made all kinds of spinners.

I even made buzz baits from Budweiser cans,, 4 blade.. you could move them slow and they were noisy!
I took old wood broom handles and other scrap I could find and carved some really good plugs.

My investment was no more than a lunch would cost and I could have a bag full of goodies to toss into the water at fish.

My favorite was a long orange streamer of sort made from marabou feathers it was like 4" long and pull it straight through the water and fish would follow it looking strangely at it.. then I would stop reeling and the thing would want to sink butt first and that body would puff open like an umbrella and be about 6" in diameter and the fish would scatter from being frightened .

I say get some stuff, build a vise, clamp a hook to it , toss on some fluff and make a bug.. so fun.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very neat!
Some of your example remind me of insects I have seen flying over/near rivers.
Do you try to match colors/shape/proportions based on living examples. For example, do you mimic the types of flying insect species that are found naturally in a given area of the world?

Would be cool to see if fish recognize (and I bet they do) native species vs non native ones. Who knows, some fish may prefer the look of, and go after a non native insect just for the experience.

Something to consider if you do move to a fly fishing hotspot, or have a trip planned. One could find pictures of specific insects and replicate them.

i guesss that's the whole point of this..... :idea:

Edit: And I see now that there are volumes of books out there linking certain fly types with fish types. One of these days, I will seriously pursue fishing and when that time comes, I would want to tie my own flies.

Thanks for posting about this.

Last edited:

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HuntersWorld,
In general the idea is to "match the hatch" of the insects that are currently flying at any time on a creek or river. Sometimes trout are very selective and will only key in on flies that resemble what is currently hatching. Other times, they'll take anything that remotely resembles a bug. Those are generally referred to as "attractor" patterns. The Royal Wulff above is an attractor pattern because it isn't trying to match a particular mayfly, it just looks "buggy".

Fly-fishing for smallmouths, bluegills, and other warmwater species is a bit different. You're gonna want patterns that resemble crawdads, leeches, frogs, baitfish, etc.....

I'm going to try to keep pics posted up as my work progresses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom