Tying flies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Swampratt,
Sounds like you had a great childhood. I loved spending time in the country and grandma's house every summer. Unfortunately, I lived in OKC the rest of the year with my face glued to video games on the TV. Nowadays I despise video games and can't understand how grown men play them.
Anyway....thanks for the story!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No my childhood sucked mostly most of it was in Moore Ok 3rd to 12th grade ..I was always grounded so I spent a lot of time by myself in my room.
Which was clean and organized for making fishing stuff.
I would not ride the buss home from school, I would walk and go to the tackle store and spend my lunch money there.

Plenty of food at school others would not eat, so I would eat the stuff my friends did not want, just to save a buck.

Hit the fence rows on the way home

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In response to this thread, I looked through my grandpa's fishing stuff that I got awhile back
He raised 3 boys and 2 girls.

When he retired, he had enough of kids and pretty much did his own thing.

He loved fishing Roaring River. He primitive camped there for weeks at a time.

I looked at his trout fly box today.

I have no idea what the flys are that he tied, but they look cool.
I thought about what I should do with them, and decided to use them.
We never connected.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423280096.358254.jpg

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice looking flies Meatgrinder! It's probably been 15 years since I sat down at my tying desk. I was self taught by checking out books at the library with my dad and probably started when I was 12 or 13. Never was able to tie the greatest looking flies, but they caught fish. There's something very satisfying about fooling a trout with something you created yourself.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice looking flies Meatgrinder! It's probably been 15 years since I sat down at my tying desk. I was self taught by checking out books at the library with my dad and probably started when I was 12 or 13. Never was able to tie the greatest looking flies, but they caught fish. There's something very satisfying about fooling a trout with something you created yourself.
Yes! Similar to reloading ones own ammo.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meatgrinder - You need to join me at Backwoods Equip Co on N. May when we have fly tying sessions. You will have fun and learn a lot.

So, I'm chopped liver? When are these "sessions" happening, and is it one of those classes for "special people" ??

LOL, you know I'm jerking your chain. :D

If I could get an invite, and its during the day, I'd love to come to one, or two.

Latest posts

Top Bottom