Exceed satellite internet service

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody have it?
Living in the sticks with minimal service in the summer sucks.
Our wireless provider has a 20+ mile trip through repeaters to get to us. It's painfully slow because in the summer, the signal has to come through trees with leaves.
Wintertime is much better because there are no leaves.
The trees aren't coming down. That's not an option. They are huge walnut shade trees.
The basic package is 10 gigs a month. We don't game or watch a lot of YouTube vids.
Forum, email and Facebook for the wife. She locks out auto play on videos. What's the average usage for our type of viewing if your in that business?
We would like some reviews from folks that have the system.
They guarantee 12mbps. Here is a speed test I just did.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435877988.000796.jpg

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're not gaming or streaming much, it might be worth your money just to pick up a 4gLTE hotspot. Pay only for what you use. I use one in the hunting blinds and on the road all the time.

greyBeered

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had it when we lived out in the boonies nw of Tahlequah.

It's much better than the old Wild Blue.

The problem isn't bw, per se, but latency. There is about an 800 msec (0.8 sec) delay getting the signal to the bird and back, This means that some things, like Skype and VoIP don't work worth a snap. Streaming works OK, though for both audio (pandora) and video.

Problems: Fri and Sat evening service sucks. B/C out in the sticks, it's the only thing to do and pretty much everyone is doing it. There's only a limited amount of bandwidth that gets shared by everyone, and when everyone gets on, the performance is not so great.

Doesn't work a flip in rain storms.

They had a pay for usage sort of plan. When you ran out, it would kinda sorta work, but the performance sucked. There wan't extra charges or anything. I liked that.

We got our service through the local electric coop (LERC). They did a good job of service.

Overall, it's decent Internet for web surfing, streaming and such. You'll notice some difference compared to City-Folk broadband, but not as much as you would think. Until you try to fire up a low latency application like VoIP or gaming.

I was overall happy with it. It was a HUGE improvement over Wild Blue. And was the only Internet we could get (no DSL, we were one of three households in Cherokee CO too far from the central office for DSL), and no cell service on our property.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they can even deliver 10mbps down the comparison to the screenshot you posted will rock your world. No way I could deal with that.

A buddy had it and used something similar to skype for video conferencing with his shop out in kommiefornia. He said it wasn't supposed to work but he had no real issues with it.

Edit: He was on Hughes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don't do Voip or gaming. Well, other than some blackjack on occasion, then the app is shut down. Need to call our IP Tuesday and see what our usage has been if they keep those records.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're also out in the middle of nowhere, and satellite used to be our only option. As mentioned above, latency is what really affected us. We were getting about 1800ms responses on pings. Also, the accuracy of the dish is more important; since you're transmitting as well as receiving. Due to that, there were many times we had to realign the dish or be without a connection for days at a time. You know...it never gets windy in Oklahoma. ;)

If you just need basic web surfing and emails, it's ok. I'd never use it for gaming or other low latency apps again though.

We're on DSL now, so I'll never go back to satellite if I can avoid it.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen on Amazon and EBay gadgets that will receive wifi from several miles away-say from McDonalds and receive the wifi on your computer. Any takers?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the exede sat system installed today. I didn't know my computer could run this fast.

If you live in the sticks and need internet this is really working fine.

The installer did a great job hiding the wiring, and getting everything set up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom