Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every once in a while I see (non liquid) Wild Turkeys. A few Oklahoma birds have been known to stand out along highways, & seemingly, enjoy watching vehicles pass by. Down along the Rio Grande N M), I saw huge toms! They looked like 2 bushel baskets taped together, with ceiling fans on their butts.
But I've always been curious (I COULD just look it up, I s'pose)...how do you 'hunt. these big ol' birds? I'm guessing the whole idea is to grab a tight patterning shot gun, get as close as you can, & try to blow their wrinkled red heads off to avoid getting shot in the 'good parts'? That's probably why I never bothered to research the technique....because that otta do it.
But here's another question: If any of you have a big Tom Turkey, & don't want the big feathers (wing & a few tail), please let me know, as I have great use for them. Can I have 'em? Happy Hunting, N de B

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve still got to get a plaque, but the fan is finished. Utube is a wonderful resource. :thumb:
IMG_0720.jpeg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been hunting hard. More days in the woods and more time listening for gobbles than many past seasons combined. Still have yet to put one on the ground. I ain't giving up though.

I'm curious, what kinds of turkey calls do you guys prefer and use most?
Ceramic or aluminum "slates" due to the volume and pitch, cuts the wind well, and I'm pretty much always dealing with the wind. Have used a diaphragm call in 20y probably.

Latest posts

Top Bottom