Bret Baier (Fox News) Interview with Gov Christie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw the reply of Bret Baier's interview with NJ Gov. Chris Christie.
The whole interview is good but there is an area of particular interest to folks on this board:

Here's a link to the transcript of the whole interview: http://www.foxnews.com/transcript/2015/11/25/gov-chris-christie-experience-is-needed-in-white-house/

Here is an excerpt about gun control (found about 3/4 of the way into the transcript):

BAIER: Gun control, is it true that the issue of gun control inspired you to get into politics?

CHRISTIE: No. That's not true. No.

BAIER: Well, in 1993, you said you were motivated to run for office by supporting, preserving New Jersey's assault weapons ban.

(CROSSTALK)

CHRISTIE: You know, I don't remember saying that so, you know, we'll see.

BAIER: "The issue which has motivated me to get into this race is the recent attempt by certain Republican legislators to repeal New Jersey's ban on assault weapons." That was in 1993.

CHRISTIE: That's 22 years ago?

BAIER: Yes.

CHRISTIE: Bret, I don't remember. I could have. It doesn't sound like me.

BAIER: You think the "Star-Ledger" is wrong?

CHRISTIE: I know it's never been before. (INAUDIBLE)

(CROSSTALK)

BAIER: All right, well, let me turn it this way. If you don't think that motivated you like you said.

CHRISTIE: No.

BAIER: .apparently back then --

CHRISTIE: No, I don't think it did. I know it.

BAIER: Where are you now?

CHRISTIE: Well, listen, my record is really clear on this in New Jersey. We have taken a lot of steps to make sure that gun rights are protected in New Jersey. I vetoed a decrease in the magazine from 15 to 10. We vetoed a ban on the 50-caliber rifle. We vetoed a state-wide I.D. card in New Jersey, all because it didn't increase safety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think the Governor was hooked by his own petard.

Now, having said that, I have to admit that I grew up in the North East (NY City in particular) and until I had been in the military a number of years - and my own thoughts "evolved" - I regarded "excessively" strong gun rights support/2A arguments as indicative of backward, red neck, racist leanings. I was more supportive of gun rights than most of my peers in NYC but far less than I am now or than most here are.

Mea culpa, mea culpa but the reality is that as kids we were fed a steady diet of what is essentially propaganda designed to form a useful but wholly incorrect understanding of the second amendment. It took years of me being separated from the reinforcing environment of NYC plus contact with many "normal" gun enthusiasts in the military to really dislodge that view. I also owed my father who was always a 2A supporter a big apology at the end.

So does anyone believe that it is truly possible to have one's gun control views evolve? And, has Gov Christie done enough to prove he is now sincere in his support of a vigorous interpretation of the 2A?

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it is possible and highly likely that intelligent open minded people can adjust their views on gun control as well as other things after receiving additional information. Before I was enlightened I thought guns were for hunting only and I could not see why anyone "needed" an AR. I bought my first AR at around 40 years old - I wish I had been enlightened earlier. The gun control battles are what educated me to the true meaning of the 2nd Amendment.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While it is normal to adjust views on things, when a politician does it one can't help but wonder if it is really just due to political expediency...

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He may have changed his views on the subject but I still don't trust him. I believe he would sign an AWB law. I guarantee he would sign Universal background checks.

I actually am a little apprehensive about Republicans "taking over" politically. I fear a number of them would back more gun control - if were their idea...

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Christie is a fat liar. I wouldn't believe one word out of this mouth. In the debates all he does is pander to the crowd and viewers. He says what he knows will make him look good. He is not what this country needs as our president. Now I know that all the candidates do some pandering but he is one of the worst I have seen.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So does anyone believe that it is truly possible to have one's gun control views evolve? And, has Gov Christie done enough to prove he is now sincere in his support of a vigorous interpretation of the 2A?

NJ Gov Christie still is allowing the persecution of innocent travelers who inadvertently technically violate the draconian NJ gun laws (such as the Utah man on a plane that was diverted to NJ and then he was arrested for the gun declared in his luggage).
Christie is a chronic, professional liar, a double-dealing RHINO who would have someone chopped in half and make book on which was the larger half if it served his purpose, IMHO.
The only major difference I see between Christie and H. Clinton is that he is smarter and has an actual personality.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NJ Gov Christie still is allowing the persecution of innocent travelers who inadvertently technically violate the draconian NJ gun laws (such as the Utah man on a plane that was diverted to NJ and then he was arrested for the gun declared in his luggage).
Christie is a chronic, professional liar, a double-dealing RHINO who would have someone chopped in half and make book on which was the larger half if it served his purpose, IMHO.
The only major difference I see between Christie and H. Clinton is that he is smarter and has an actual personality.

Holding back like this is not good for you. Go ahead and tell us how you really feel. :woohoo1:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now, having said that, I have to admit that I grew up in the North East (NY City in particular) and until I had been in the military a number of years - and my own thoughts "evolved" - I regarded "excessively" strong gun rights support/2A arguments as indicative of backward, red neck, racist leanings. I was more supportive of gun rights than most of my peers in NYC but far less than I am now or than most here are.

Mea culpa, mea culpa but the reality is that as kids we were fed a steady diet of what is essentially propaganda designed to form a useful but wholly incorrect understanding of the second amendment. It took years of me being separated from the reinforcing environment of NYC plus contact with many "normal" gun enthusiasts in the military to really dislodge that view. I also owed my father who was always a 2A supporter a big apology at the end.

Can one evolve? Yes. They can evolve their preference for the way they wish it to be. But I am of the opinion that there is no wiggle room whatsoever on the 2A and that basically all gun control laws are unconstitutional and therefore there's really nothing to debate. I realize I'm in the minority.

So what was it that was most influential in your forming of your original view? School? I ask because I find the psychology of NE politics interesting and you mention your father's support for the 2A.

Latest posts

Top Bottom