17 caliber. any thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22 LR isn't in the same class, as for .22 mag, it's comparable in my opinion I'd rather have the .22, with something that small i like as much bullet weight as possible, they will both work well on game up to coyote size.

Also I just realized you didn't mention which 17, I was referring to the hmr, I don't have any experience with the Mach 2

rivers666

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i had a 17 that i could drive tacks with at 100 yards from a bench so i can vouch for the accuracy of the 17(im not a very good shot myself). the wind seems to bother the 17 when its gusty outside, i would rather shoot my 22 mag when it get like that.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking .17 hornet myself as I am a big time .22 hornet fanboy. in a 20gr bullet they both shoot the hornet is almost 1200fps faster and has 2x the energy. Now its factory loaded by hornady. Savage and ruger are both building rifles for this little devil!

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive got a ruger on layaway @ Henry's in Yukon and the also have a savage in stock in .17 hornet. Rcbs and hornady have dies available and currently only hornady has brass. I ordered an rcbs conversion die as I will not use hornady brass. So I can convert some Winchester .22 hornet brass to .17 with less stress on the necks. I can't wait to work up a load for it and see if it will be a legitimate 300-350 yd prarie dawg killing machine. With that kind of velocity I think it has potential. And it will be faster and use less powder than a 17 rem or fireball so it should be an efficient round. I have the best luck with large pistol primers in my hornet so we shall see I the same holds true for the .17 hornet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom