1911 Stan Chen SI Magwell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get my hands on a Stan Chen SI magwell since they were introduced last December. I missed out on the introductory pricing and haven't been willing to justify dropping $174.99 on one since that time. Luckily an inexpensive NIB one popped up on another forum recently and I was able to grab it.

Below are a few photos of the one piece MSH magwell installed on a Valor. Not sure what finish is being used on the blued version, but it's a decently close match to the Dan Wesson nitride finish. The magwell is advertised as a drop in part for Springfields, Kimbers, Dan Wessons and current Colts (2018 - present), but I did have to remove .003" from the rails for it to fit properly. Stan Chen currently has these on sale for $134.99 and occassionally has blems in stock for $99.99.

uxV4tyKh.jpg

5eJnXZ9h.jpg

WUhW64Sh.jpg

2zJUl3ah.jpg

QQlm6bwh.jpg

K9cXZAah.jpg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like an s&a magwell, albeit a nicer quality one. Stan’s used to be cut the frame and weld.

The side profile is pretty much the same (slightly wider) and S&A cut grips fit well. The chute itself is a little larger on the Chen, the front forks wrap around more, and it has a round butt profile at the rear. The chute also mates a little better with the frame so blending wouldn't be as much work. LPI on the checkering is a much better match too. The quality of the Chen is noticeably better than the S&A. Not sure if it warrants twice the asking price for most folks though. Stan still offers a couple different versions of the gunsmith required magwells that require the frame to be cut.

Here's the S&A for comparison...

3Dd8yMCh.jpg

iRWLPRwh.jpg

T8Rtq5Ch.jpg

kwqA3hEh.jpg

Last edited:

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, a good s&w install still meant a bit of machining blending and filing. Probably the sc is cheaper in the long run when you consider that

Latest posts

Top Bottom