• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Oklahoma City 1958 LW Foster USN MIL-J-7823 (AER) G1 flight jacket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
For sale: USN G-1 FLIGHT JACKET L.W. FOSTER MIL-J-7823 (AER) in good used surplus condition. This contract DA-36-243-QM(CTM)2134 was awarded by L.W. FOSTER SPORTSWEAR CO., INC. in fiscal year, 1958. This is the same G1 contract that JFK often wore while sailing.

Jacket has had name tag removed from left chest area. Mutton collar is in very good condition for its age. Knits are in above average condition, but the sleeve knits each have one small area of wear (see photos) that could be darned if needed. Liner is in very good condition with no noticeable damage. Blackened bell shaped Conmar zipper is also in good condition and operates as it should. Please note that this is a 64 year old jacket. While it is likely in above average condition for its age, there are areas of wear due to age and use on the leather surfaces throughout. Leather is still soft and pliable. Additional photos showing the jacket in further detail are available upon request.

I've included a fit pic for reference. I am 5' 10", 150 lbs, with a 39" chest. Jacket is tagged as a size 40. This contract runs slightly large and fits closer to a size 42.

Asking $350 firm, FTF in OKC area.

Measurements are as follows:

Chest (pit seam to pit seam): 21.5"

Shoulder (shoulder seam to shoulder seam in rear): 19"

Sleeve length (shoulder seam to end of sleeve knit): 25"

Back length (bottom collar seam to base of waist knit): 26"

CeMcdkD.jpeg

NR5AWIT.jpeg

2uZg533.jpeg

GBEJFi9.jpeg

BG3aZs1.jpeg

W07weG1.jpeg

2zEXFqh.jpeg

kllygRS.jpeg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
All of the cuffs are available on eBay and Young’s on Air Depot can replace them, Good luck!

In all honesty, the knits don't need replacement or even darned. They are solid and won't deteriorate as long as they're not pulled on when removing the jacket. Finding a 50's era G1 with knits and mutton collar in this good of condition, on a jacket in this price range, is not easy. There are NOS knits available on eBay if needed though.

If someone wants a nicer example of the same jacket, there are a few options on eBay for just a few dollars more...

Screenshot_20221024-153900_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20221024-154125_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20221024-154104_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20221024-154056_eBay.jpg

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
I still have mine issued from the Navy that I’ve worn outside the house 2 times, lol. The first one issued in 1986 was turned back in to the Navy because the cuffs wore out and had I known I would have never got a new one.

These jackets are the best and so comfortable if they fit correctly. Everyone nowadays wears them too big and they don’t wear like they should with the snug fit.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
These jackets are the best and so comfortable if they fit correctly. Everyone nowadays wears them too big and they don’t wear like they should with the snug fit.

+1...the bi-swing back on the Navy flight jackets make them much more wearable than the Army's A2 jacket. I looked for many months to find a G1 that was this nice. Unfortunately, it's just a touch too wide in the shoulders than what I prefer. I was hoping to pass it on to a fellow OSA member that might be starting a militaria or flight jacket collection.

I ended up putting a deposit down with Dave Sheeley for a custom made Monarch AN-J-3 and am going to downsize the collection somewhat to help fund the purchase.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
+1...the bi-swing back on the Navy flight jackets make them much more wearable than the Army's A2 jacket. I looked for many months to find a G1 that was this nice. Unfortunately, it's just a touch too wide in the shoulders than what I prefer. I was hoping to pass it on to a fellow OSA member that might be starting a militaria or flight jacket collection.

I ended up putting a deposit down with Dave Sheeley for a custom made Monarch AN-J-3 and am going to downsize the collection somewhat to help fund the purchase.
Please don’t wear that jacket around me or my children. While I have no doubts it will be an absolute work of art and I’m comfortable enough in my masculinity and sexuality to say you’ll be a terribly handsome fella while wearing it, I don’t want myself or one of my rug rats responsible for spilling something on a jacket that costs more than several vehicles I’ve owned over the years!

Latest posts

Top Bottom