.22 Remington special?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished cleaning a Remington model 12 CS that I inherited from my dad and noticed that it is chambered in .22 Remington special. I did some googling and saw that it is the same as .22 Winchester rimfire (.22 WRF). Is this correct? Is this cartridge still available locally. Is it a good round? Thanks!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes that's true, remington special and WRF are interchangable, I believe the only difference is that one or the other came with a round nose bullet and the other more of a spitzer nose. You probably already know this, but .22 Mag is not .22 WRF:) Ballistics are very similar though, WRF has a slightly bigger case. Old Western Scrounger has an original box of .22 rem special for $109!!! Happy shooting.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check onli with Ammo to Go / Ammunition To Go they usually have a supply of 22WRF ammo. Also check the Midway website. I believe Winchester still makes the ammo is periodic runs.
The 22WRF amo is much more expensive than 22LR. It had the advantage of having the bullet lube coverred by the brass case unlike normal 22's in which the bullet lube is exposed. That feature allowed you to pocket carry loose rounds of 22WRF plus small increase in velocity over 22LR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom