.22LR or .22Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKgetdown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Heritage Rough Rider. The 6 inch 22lr model. I bought this on sale for 99 bucks at Dunham’s so it wasn’t the one that came with the mag cylinder. Unless you’re gonna be shooting varmits, 22lr should be good.
I’ve had it a little less than a year. Me, my son, and a buddy of mine have shot a ton of rounds through it. All cheap and dirty bulk stuff. I gave it one good cleaning. But the dang thing works like a champ. My shooting spot has a big blue 50 gallon drum way out there. I can thump the drum at about 100 yards just about every shot. So it’s a pretty straight shooter for what it is. Finish isn’t nice. But it has kind of a cool look though. The safety is dumb, but whatever. Its just a plinker to shoot coke cans.

The wrangler is a nicer gun in probably every way. But if you’re just looking for something to plink around on the farm don’t discount the ol rough rider. I like mine a lot more than I thought I would. And if you can find one for 99 bucks it’s just all win.

Something else to keep in mind is the RR and the Wrangler have completely different actions. The RR has a more true Colt SAA action. The 4 click. The Wrangler does not. Or at least they didn’t use to. I prefer the 4 click.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Ruger Single Six that came with both cylinders but I have never used the 22mag one. I bought it mainly to shoot quiet CB's and birdshot to take care of snakes in my goldfish pond as well as chicken predators caught in a live trap. Sweet little revolver.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That and you don't get much over LR for all that noise either. Rifles are completely different, that's where .22 mag shines.
Exactly. The .22 mag was designed for rifles.
I’ve Chrono’d them from a 2” barrel barely making 900 fps. The .22lr is faster.
We now see .22 mag ammo labeled for.22 mag pistols.
It’s the same thing, the pistol version uses softer lead to get its desired performance

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But the flame the 22 mag throws from a hand gun is a big fun factor.😁
But the 22 mag is over .30 round now. Can't figure that out.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both cylinders, but only use the mag cylinder is when squirrel hunting with .22 Mag rifle.

Picked up a few boxes at the gun show, couple weeks ago. Private seller was reasonably price and wanting to sell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom